BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question over on the Apparel forum but it's not getting much notice. I need some new gear for when the weather warms up and I'm looking at a pants/jacket combo in perforated leather. You guys must know a lot about leather...what do I need to know?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fit will be the most important thing as many 2-piece combos are hard to find where both the top and the bottom fit properly. Also, some two-piece suits have full 360 degree zippers (if you ever plan to hit the track), but most have the universal 8-inch zipper to connect the top and bottom. AGV Sport makes separate jackets and pants, and I've had good luck with them quality wise. You might also check out the Kobe "dragon breeze" which is a perf'd two-piece available at www.1888fastlap.com. You can get them sized individually top and bottom. The Kobe is 1.7 mm cowhide though and fairly stiff, so you will take some time to break the suit in compared to most 1.2 / 1.3 mm suits.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have Vanson perf gear. I can't comment on other gear. Vanson is very good. I have not had any issues. Of course it also helps that Vanson is 2 hours away from my house. I went to Vanson when I was in the market.
Good luck.
Bruce

·
Registered
186 Posts
Vanson Leathers

I have a Vanson Perforated Mark 2 Cobra jacket and the Perforated Sport Rider pants. Vanson made them to my measurements and they fit great, very well made. But when it gets really hot out, I switch to a mesh joe rocket jacket and jeans.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mark up another vote for Vanson. I have the fully perfed jacket and pants. I bought a snap-in insulated liner that extends the temp range of the jacket somewhat. I like the conservative styling of the Vanson; sort of the blue blazer and khakis of motorcycle leathers.

I already had a cold weather suit already, otherwise I might have chosen the Cobra jacket which would probably be warmer in cool weather.

Check out www.newenough.com for ideas. They carry Vanson and several other brands; they have some good sales and closeouts also.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would also say go with Vansons, I looked at alot of diff brands over the years and used to wear a field sheer, but if you look at the quality of the perf, Vanson has many more holes per SQ inch and of course if you go with their GP armor and built in articulated back protector you are about as covered as you can get.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wear the Fieldsheer on the street. Check out www.ant-racing.com for good prices. Dave also gives a discount to k-bikes members. Great guy to do business with.
Pete

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Vansons is good stuff

I echo all the good stuff already said about Vansons. The only caveat I'd like to add is that you should be sure perf is what you want. Personally, I'm cold when riding with my perf Vanson's jacket if the temperature is anything below 70!

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very helpful thank you. Bruce, I was hoping to go to Vanson like you did. Do they welcome a visit? Can you see and try on the whole line? Can they measure you up on the spot if you want a custom fit or color? And Chuck, what are you wearing under the jacket when you're cool at 70?...a t-shirt? At the risk of sounding indelicate...what are you wearing under the trousers? Will a light pair of shorts fit or must it be briefs only? On a hot day, how much difference is there between perf leather and mesh?

·
Registered
143 Posts
BillA-
Vanson leathers are fine but do yourself a favor and take a look at the Dainese stuff, http://www.dainese.com/pre.asp. I have couple sets of race suits and a Goretex Touring jacket.
There's a reason why people consider them the best in the world.

·
Registered
768 Posts
chuckwilmot said:
I echo all the good stuff already said about Vansons. The only caveat I'd like to add is that you should be sure perf is what you want. Personally, I'm cold when riding with my perf Vanson's jacket if the temperature is anything below 70!
Also endorse the Vanson with the comment on below 65 temps. My son went riding with him wearing his brothers at 60 degrees without a fleece under them and froze. Just pack some good layered clothing and you are all set. Plus rain gear of course. BTW they are not cheap but are durable, any problems they fix immediately, great customer service.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Try Bates Leather

If you are looking for leathers, the biggest issue is fit. Either they are too tight or they look like you did something in your shorts. I use bates leather in CA. They build the suits for the racers. If you are on the left coast you can go to there shop, they will measure you and the suit will fit perfectly.

Regards

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Cool at 70

BillA said:
Very helpful thank you. Bruce, I was hoping to go to Vanson like you did. Do they welcome a visit? Can you see and try on the whole line? Can they measure you up on the spot if you want a custom fit or color? And Chuck, what are you wearing under the jacket when you're cool at 70?...a t-shirt? At the risk of sounding indelicate...what are you wearing under the trousers? Will a light pair of shorts fit or must it be briefs only? On a hot day, how much difference is there between perf leather and mesh?

!! Usually a long sleeved T shirt and briefs. I'll admit I have not tried much in the way of undergarments to extend the season for my perf Vanson's. When it's cool enough to think about that, I just wear something else. I don't think there's much difference (maybe a little) between perf leather and mesh nylon. I just like leather better. I can hold my jacket open and up towards a light and almost see right through it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Underarmour

BillA said:
Wear UnderArmour under your leather.

HeatGear in the summer and ColdGear in the winter.

www.underarmour.com

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bill:
You can go to Vanson. They have all the gear right there. If you need custom fit you want to call and make sure that they will have someone there to measure you. Usually no one is there on Sunday to measure you. Also custom stuff takes between 6 to 10 weeks to get. So the sooner you go the sooner you will get it.
Bruce

·
Registered
828 Posts
Dainese

I like my Dainese gear a lot. Fits well and handles the weather great. Check out cyclegear.com, they are having some decent specials right now.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree, Vanson is the one (price as well). Not a Joe Rocket Fan, but at one time they had a great perforated pant and the Santa Fe jacket. I think you can find them in some closeout sales around the web for nearly nothing. They work and look great. As an ex-coach, I second the UnderArmour.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts