BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a CANBUS ready brake light, plugged it in, and it started flashing and not really performing as advertised... did some research, figured my bulb wasn't good enough to trick the canbus, so I bought a heatsink/resistor to put in line. While trying to figure out which wire out of the 3 wires going into the brake light, I noticed that it worked just fine if I pulled off one of the wires.... WTF?

brown wire was power, and then there's 2 striped wires going into the plug. Pulling one off, and neither brake control triggers the light... pulling the other one off, and everything works fine....

AND NO LAMPR!! alerts!!! What in the world am I missing? tracing the wires doesn't answer my question based on the one image I was looking at... (probably the wrong year but close enough http://linkinx.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/bmw-k1200s-wiring-diagram-with-schematic.jpg )

anyone play with the wiring of the brake lights before?

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I bought a CANBUS ready brake light, plugged it in, and it started flashing and not really performing as advertised... did some research, figured my bulb wasn't good enough to trick the canbus, so I bought a heatsink/resistor to put in line. While trying to figure out which wire out of the 3 wires going into the brake light, I noticed that it worked just fine if I pulled off one of the wires.... WTF?

brown wire was power, and then there's 2 striped wires going into the plug. Pulling one off, and neither brake control triggers the light... pulling the other one off, and everything works fine....

AND NO LAMPR!! alerts!!! What in the world am I missing? tracing the wires doesn't answer my question based on the one image I was looking at... (probably the wrong year but close enough http://linkinx.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/bmw-k1200s-wiring-diagram-with-schematic.jpg )

anyone play with the wiring of the brake lights before?

Sorry about your troubles.

I hooked up Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal when I got my '07 K1200GT and have never looked back!

Just followed the included installation instructions..

One of the LED modules failed (after 9 years) and they are sent me 2 new ones under warranty!!

Now that's service!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about your troubles.

I hooked up Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal when I got my '07 K1200GT and have never looked back!
Just followed the included installation instructions..
One of the LED modules failed (after 9 years) and they are sent me 2 new ones under warranty!!
Now that's service!!
:2beers:

NICE! I finally gave up and put the incandescent back in... I loved the brighter lights, but after a week, the LAMPR warning came back and the difference in lighting levels was not different enough for my wife who follows in a staggered config with me. I may need to check out the hyperlights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts