BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 BMW K1200rs Dolphin Blue.
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I’ve been looking at the conversations on this forum regarding the led bulb upgrades for the h7 headlight bulb. I see that there has been some success in the past but I’ve struggled to see exactly what bulb people have used and whether the results are actually worth the purchase.

So my questions are, if you have used an led bulb, what one did you fit and did it need any modifications to fit it.

Secondly, was there any scatter from the light beam that affected oncoming traffic? The reflector in the light is only really setup to handle the standard bulb.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm skeptical of any LED that boasts more light output, and claims to be "focused". Sailor and Beech will chime on on this for sure. I bought a Xenon kit for the low beam way back when they were expensive. Still going strong. I should address the high beam, but I've been in no rush to do so.
I think the issue is the lens, when it comes to LED bulbs. You might stand there and look at the headlight and say "Gee, that's definitely more light coming out of there". But is it properly focused ? I might add that I higher temperature bulb (6500K vs. 4300K for example) is not the answer either. Check with Jerry from Pirate's Lair and and have a look at his latest offering.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got a set of inexpensive LED bulbs from Amazon and they're amazing. I use the same bulb in both high beams and low beam and they look like a helicopter search light when all running together. Yes, I get a LAMPF code because of the low beam and can bus, but I don't really care, it's worth the lighting improvement every day of the week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all. I’ve been looking at the conversations on this forum regarding the led bulb upgrades for the h7 headlight bulb. I see that there has been some success in the past but I’ve struggled to see exactly what bulb people have used and whether the results are actually worth the purchase.

So my questions are, if you have used an led bulb, what one did you fit and did it need any modifications to fit it.

Secondly, was there any scatter from the light beam that affected oncoming traffic? The reflector in the light is only really setup to handle the standard bulb.
Don’t do it. Unless you replace the bucket and possibly the lens you will blind oncoming traffic. Yes, the light is very bright but it mostly illuminates just in front of you not focused down the road. If you Google Daniel Stern Lighting you can read the entire article.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Put an HID in years ago on my 2006 S. A clear and large improvement. If the light disturbs on coming drivers, perhaps it will be even more effective in announcing me at corners and intersections but I have never tested it and don't get flashing hi beams. BTW, I was able to fit everything in side the lamp housing.

·
Registered
1998 BMW K1200rs Dolphin Blue.
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your replies. The light focus issue is what I was expecting to hear about. Not really surprised.
I don’t want to upset oncoming traffic so will probably live with the lights as they are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
an article that @Zonga might have been referring to. The information is quite 'illuminating' and persuasive.

@K1200rsplumption Thanks for asking the question. I learnt quite a lot from what this discussion triggered and whether the situation has improved since earlier discussions on this site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts