BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st off, I am a new owner of a used 2007 K1200S. Got it for a good price, all maintenance seems to be kept up, and it is in immaculate condition, literally.
Glad to have bought the bike, and registered here.

My 1st question: Anyone has a "valid" LED bulb for the rear brake light? 2 I have tried, although stating can-bus error free, both still give the error on the dash. One works as designed, second one is always on brake mode (full bright). I had no issues with the LED Bulbs for the rear signals, they work fine and no error shows up.

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
You'll have to put resistors in the line. One for the Tail lite and one for the Brake lite. I don't recall the resistance values at the moment but If you just buy a closed LED unit designed for your bike, it will come with the correct resistors. They are easy to do. I just mounted mine on the sub-frame rails either side of the tail light. You can get precision and screw them down or just yank a zip-tie nice and tight around them but don't just tape them. I have always soldered my connections because motorcycles get wet everywhere, vibrate, and get bounced around way more then cars.

The only thing I would do to improve on the LED setup would be a "3 Flash" tail light. Every time you step on the brake, the brake light flashes 3 times. Seeing that I have found myself standing at the foot of hospital beds with friends in a body casts because they got ass-ended at a light, it's a very attractive idea to give all the warning you can muster to that clown in the One-ton pickup barreling down on your ass while texting his bitch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The reason I wanted an LED brake bulb WAS to install a brake flasher.

No big deal. I have installed 3 Led strips on the rear carrier I put on that work as brake lights with the flasher connected, and as signals, and a Vololights license plate. All my bikes have brake flashers and additional LEDs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts