BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cambridge K said:
Just do HID low beam
Will the heat from an HID affect the headlight lense? I worked in consumer electronics for almost 20 years and had mostly bad experiences with aftermarket HID kits.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'd stay away from LEDs for now. They all seem to need cooling fans so heat is an issue for LEDs. Also the covers have to be cut. I have a HID for my low beam. With the kit that Pirate sells, igniter, ballast and all wiring fit inside the housing so no cutting hole in cover or mounting igniter and ballast somewhere. It has been in for over 2 yrs and no problems.

·
Registered
288 Posts
MP - I just stuffed everything in the headlight & have the hole tapped up - I had problems with all the wires & module being to tight or falling down - this seems the best now

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had H-7 LED high and low beams installed in my K1200GT by Cyclops at the BMWMOA rally. Easy install, took them less than an hour. Lights are great, improved visibility, no CANBUS issues, no flashing from oncoming vehicles. Highly recommended!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Update on my low beam install of the Cyclops LED and Pirate's HID.
The Cyclops had an alarm for 6 months, any long trip and I got !lampf alarm. Cyclops has made a shunt resistor that they will be supplying with the K1300s LEDs. This may be on request, but for me it is a 100% fix. Great support from Cyclops, but the HID just worked right from day one.

The Cyclops is easier to install as the components slide into the shell. The HID needs to have a component mounted, not difficult, but a little harder.

The Cyclops is more blue if that is what you are after.
The HID and Cyclops put out about the same amount of light, but the HID being yellower is better in light fog. On clear nights visibility is about the same. Both are much better than stock.
The HID aims better as the light source is closer to the original bulb's position. The LED is a little longer and has a more dispersed beam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts