BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found a source for LED sidelight with build in resistors, ie no canbus issues and faults.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390183587004

1st pic with stock bulb, 2nd w/ LED and 3rd with HID and LED both on. The LED is much brighter and matches the color of HID. Now I need to find some Hi-beam bulbs that are brighter and match the color of the HID.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Cool find....are they literally plug and play?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Not sure about the color match, but instead of HID high beams I have been thinking on trying the Osram Rallye 65W high beam bulbs. The HID low beam is 20 watts less than the factory 55W low beam, these would add 20 watts total (65 watts each vs 55 watts on the stock high beams. So the total wattage in high beam position would be the same. At least that's how I am reasoning even trying this.
Gilly

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert_W said:
Cool find....are they literally plug and play?
Yes plug and play.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Well I think I'll order a set then since one of mine is blown. Might as well replace them both. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Robert_W said:
Well I think I'll order a set then since one of mine is blown. Might as well replace them both. Thanks
Geezus kripes! What the hell else is wrong with your bike? :confused:

Man, I thought my moons were crashing, but yours takes the cake.

Mack

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Dude.....a blown bulb does not an issue make. I'd take dozens of blown bulbs over the other issues. Apparently there's no warning indicator on the LCD for the side lights being blown though cause I only noticed it in a reflection while pulling in to grab some choke and puke. :confused:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Installation shortcuts

I just ordered the replacement LEDS. I was wondering if one of you gentlemen could offer any hints that would simplify the installation. I just checked the location of the bulbs in the stock headlight assembly and the locations of the bulbs look fairly difficult to access without some stock part removal. I am hoping to keep everything as simple as possible. Thank you for any assistance.

Karl Riemer

2007 K1200GT

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You dont have to pull anything off. It's just a real tight fit reaching in there. Take you're time be patient and a small pair of hands helps. :hand

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
LED replacements

Thanks Lenbo. Fortunately I have small hands and I hope I can do the swap without too much difficulty. It also appears that you have Bike Vis running lights mounted in front of the oil cooler as I do. I also have Photon Blasters mounted on my front fender so I should be quite visible to the cagers.

Karl Riemer

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Just wanted to give a thumbs up for these things. I finally installed a set and they are leeps and bounds better than the standard bulb. So great find and cheap safety addition. Thanks Lenbo. :clap: Highly recommended :thumb:

They definitely brighten things up in there, match my HID and help add to the "get your attention factor" without being too bright and intrusive. No can bus issues. Truly pug and play.

Two things.

If you have big hands and a lot of other stuff already crammed up in front they are kind of a pain in the ass to install. I found that removing the Tupperware and loosening up the dash a bit so I could get to the side was the best option.

Also....when you put them in be sure and fire them up to test them before putting every thing back together. If they don't fire try turning them 180 degrees in the socket....reverse the + -. I only learned this after spending an hour trying to track down a busted wire with a volt meter and ripping apart all kinds of stuff. :banghead:

If I had just read those pesky directions before I tossed them into the can! :teeth

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lenbo & Robert or anybody else

how are these holding up?
got many hours on them?

Curious how they do sharing the housing with the headlamps and the heat.

LED suppliers warn against installing leds anywhere subject to high heat.

Warning: do not use any of these bulbs in headlamp housings or any compartment where the bulbs would be subject to the extreme temperatures that headlamps can produce - heat will cause LED failure and VOID WARRANTY!​

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've got roughly 6 or 7k miles on mine now. No heat issues. No problems what so ever. They just work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
three_west said:
Lenbo & Robert or anybody else

how are these holding up?
got many hours on them?

Curious how they do sharing the housing with the headlamps and the heat.

LED suppliers warn against installing leds anywhere subject to high heat.

Warning: do not use any of these bulbs in headlamp housings or any compartment where the bulbs would be subject to the extreme temperatures that headlamps can produce - heat will cause LED failure and VOID WARRANTY!​
I ride EVERY day and the bulbs are doing great. :teeth

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have mine as well on my bike and I installed the same led on my Range Rover (Canbus/no error). Everything has been holding pretty good. Like it a lot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This one is much cheaper and same quality (No Canbus error). In California as well. I have tried and installed both. 1 set is x 2 @ $14.99, shipping included

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150462561525&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Item Description
These LED bulbs are the latest in Automotive Lighting Technology, Specially designed for use with all European vehicles. With built-in Load Resistors which will overcome the problem with Warning Errors, Exsesive Flashing and Bulb Rejection. Standard LED's do not work on new cars with OBC canbus wiring systems as the on-board computer will reject them with an error message, Compatible with most New European cars like Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Porsche, etc.

With 8 LED's in each bulb they are far brighter than standard filament bulbs, will last up to 100,000 hours and will only use a fraction of the power

Application/Models:

Dome Lights, Glove Box Compartment, Parking Lights, Courtesy Lights, Corner Marker Lights, Gauge Cluster, Headlight Housing, Indicator Lights, License Plate, Map Lights, Side Marker Lights, Trunk or Cargo Lights.

Key Features:

No Error Messages, Warnings or Rejections
Operation voltage range: 10.5VDC ~ 15.8VDC
Works With Most New Canbus and OBC Systems
Long Life Will Last up to 100,000 Hours
Easy To Install Just Plug-In & Play
Dimension: 28mm in length and 10mm in diameter
Package Includes:

2 x Super White Canbus LED Bulbs.

194 Cross Reference:

W5W W5WB 147 152 158 159 161 168 168NA 184 192 193 194NA 194NALL 259 280 285 447 464 555 558 585 655 656 657 901 904 906 912 916 917 918 920 921 922 923 926 927 1250 1251 1252 2450 2652 2821 2921 2825 2825LL 2827 2886X 3652
Click Automotive light bulbs replacement guide to find the right bulb for your vehicle

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is an interesting thread, but I'm a newb to the K12GT. Are these a direct replacement for headlights? Where do they connect? Thanx for your help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
eaglefrq said:
This is an interesting thread, but I'm a newb to the K12GT. Are these a direct replacement for headlights? Where do they connect? Thanx for your help.
This is just an option LED light (white) instead of yellowish. It is for the running lights on the front side not the headlights. Easy to remove and install.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts