BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can help.

I put a Sylvania LED 1157 bulb in the tail/brake light and wired a 50w 6ohm load resistor from Amazon from the ground wire to the tail light wire as I had read on another post online.

The resistor heats up, lights work fine but the canbus lamp-out warning symbol on the instruments still comes up.

Is the load resistor rating not correct?

Do both the tail light wire and the brake light wire need their own resistor each?

I would like to get this figured out before I convert the rear turn signals to LEDs too.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see another post here that suggests wiring the original lamp in parallel with the new LED and then tuck the old light under the seat to trick the onboard computer. Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see another post here that suggests wiring the original lamp in parallel with the new LED and then tuck the old light under the seat to trick the onboard computer. Has anyone else tried this?
This will work, as I have added additional LED brake lights spliced in parallel with the still in use stock bulb. All the canbus needs to see is the load by the incandescent bulb.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Keeping the original lamp is a good idea as it dissipates heat better (more conveniently) than a load resistor, and it is the correct load for the canbus monitor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts