BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has installed an LED tail lamp in one of the K12000 RS or GT's with the servo brake system. I purchased an LED lamp that is suppose to be a direct replacement for the 1157 bulb, but as soon as the key is turned on, all LED's light as if the brake was being applied and the fault light on the instrument panel comes on. I installed LED turn signals a while back and initially had the "rapid flashing" problem, so I installed 50W resistors in parallel with each signal and they now work properly. So, I thought maybe installation of a resistor in parallel with the tail lamp may cure that problem as well, but it didn't. Anyone have a fix for this issue ?

Thanks

Ted

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did the same installations with my '03 GT. The vendor I used (Super Bright LEDs) made it clear that the resistor was necessary for the tail/brake light as well as the turn signals. I don't remember the wattage, just bought the one they recommended.
Larry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larry,

Thanks for the reply. I figured out what I did wrong. I was only using a single resistor on one circuit of the tail lamp. I finally realized this needs to be treated as though it were two tail lamps because the tail light utilizes a dual element bulb. Got it working now.

Ted

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have LEDs everywhere except the factory tail and brake lamps. I had a LED tail/brake replacement that failed, but the resistor kept fooling the ABS, so I was driving around with no rear lamps until someone told me. Dangerous.

Now I have supplemental LED tail/brake, but in parallel so the abs light comes on when the back lights fail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts