BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
i am currently on the road and the left indicator is sticking. When I get to destination will take a look but can someone tell me which screw I need to undo to take out the assembly and have a look - sorry as not great at diy!
James

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Just that one screw on the right of the cover and then you may be able to pry the cover out. I say maybe because I tried and only managed to pull the cover out 1/4" in order to adjust the angle of the controls. There is, inside the switch assembly, a clip holding the harness in place and I am pretty sure that is what is holding the cover from coming out all the way. It is hard to see so you may need a good light in order to find it. I'll be finding out for sure soon when I repair my dead left heated grip.

Mind you, as you are stuck on the road, I'd be tempted to spray some dielectric lube or such in there.There is also a bottom cover on the switch assembly,one small screw to remove and that should give you some access to the rear of the turn signal switch. I just did that on the road with a sticky throttle, I know it is not all that recommended but I had no choice in order to get home safely. :thumb:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy - yes I have an older bike -98 - but it is mint- only 28k- I will have a go

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I stripped and cleaned the left handlebar cluster a couple of years ago after my turn signal switch went intermittent and 'sticky' and I've just done the right grip this week.

You have to look hard for the small black self tapping screws that hold on the shell and covers (there are 3 or 4)

When you get those off all is revealed. But be careful. On the right side the lights and kill switches have a white V shaped spring loaded peg which provides the detent. They can fall out and get lost if you aren't looking! Also some round switches have a thin circular spacer behind, so note which one's do and remember to put them back.

The switches are push buttons and semi sealed with a round rubber top ring on each switch - so spraying in goo from outside is unlikely to work.

What I did was to remove the rubber ring off each switch and dunk it into a small plastic cap filled with methanol, then pushed the button a few times whilst submerged. Quite a lot of black dust came out. Then I did the same thing with switch cleaner/lubricant and put it all back together. The trick is getting all the plastic parts correctly aligned, otherwise the switch levers will rub.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts