BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
93 Posts
I moved from a Ducati ST4s to the K1200s and the transition was a bit awkward to a wider heavier bike but I got over it and am having as much fun. The big thing I promote is the shaft drive. No more chain lube every six hundred miles or sorting through sprocket and chain vendors every few years. There are different service items with the final drive but I don't miss having to lube up before or during long trips or having to carry a lube kit with me. I pretty much just get up and go. When my KT1100LT friend heard I was thinking about moving on to the K13 he was very interested in the K12. But I am not quite done with it yet at 60,000 +/- miles. Ever since Ducati stopped the ST line I knew they had nothing that would pique my interest. I never liked the looks of the 'busa and the Kawasaki seemed a bit too tame. The adventure bikes were never quite my cup of tea either.

·
Registered
710 Posts
That was exactly what I was going to suggest... Great bike. I had a 1990 CBR 1000F which was the ancestor of the 1100XX. I kept my eyes peeled for a Blackbird, but never saw one I liked, and I kept the 1000F running until I bought a K1300S.
Which year model would you suggest for a CBR1100XX? Call me insane but I'm partial to carburetors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Which year model would you suggest for a CBR1100XX? Call me insane but I'm partial to carburetors.
The CBR 1100XX “Super Blackbird” was made until 2007. I would find the newest one you can with the lowest mileage.

here’s one on CycleTrader:
Check out this 2002 Honda CBR 1100XX shared from the CycleTrader iOS App.
https://m39t6.app.goo.gl/S1V98

·
Registered
710 Posts
The CBR 1100XX “Super Blackbird” was made until 2007. I would find the newest one you can with the lowest mileage.

What if I got a 1998, the last one that still had carburetors?

·
Registered
BMW K1300S 2010
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This is my first post and I'm new, so go easy on me when I suggest to lg_0 "Consider the Busa." From you all's description of what you like in a bike, I resonate with you riders. Recently, I was on a tight budget and really there were only 3 bikes I was having a hard time deciding between. K1200s, K1300s and Hayabusa. Used purchase options for all three exist below $7500.

Kofi
I know, @kofi, I know... I should like the Busa because... there's nothing not to like about all of its capabilities. Unfortunately, for me, I just can't get past its styling. It looks like a whale (and a heavy one, at that). Sorry but it's no-go for me! :-(

Suzuki is teasing us with an updated 2021 model that should be uncovered on Feb. 5th. I'll keep my ear to the ground on it but don't really expect to change my view of the beast unless something exceptional is unveiled, like: a complete electronics package, a loss of at least 40lbs and a majorly revised styling ;-)

·
Registered
BMW K1300S 2010
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'd be more worried about the damn Cartel scumbags killing me for my bike!! o_O
I hear you @Constructr and I am concerned about it but, I must say that if you stick to the beaten paths, you should be just fine and not worry too much about it. Where I am (in Nayarit, north of Puerto Vallarta), I ride my mountain bike in the mountains & trails nearby and never worry about my safety. More often than not, we meet super nice people (mostly farmers and people from small villages). This is especially more prevalent when you acknowledge them and make an effort to speak Spanish (however awful mine is).

·
Registered
BMW K1300S 2010
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I moved from a Ducati ST4s to the K1200s and the transition was a bit awkward to a wider heavier bike but I got over it and am having as much fun. The big thing I promote is the shaft drive. No more chain lube every six hundred miles or sorting through sprocket and chain vendors every few years. There are different service items with the final drive but I don't miss having to lube up before or during long trips or having to carry a lube kit with me. I pretty much just get up and go. When my KT1100LT friend heard I was thinking about moving on to the K13 he was very interested in the K12. But I am not quite done with it yet at 60,000 +/- miles. Ever since Ducati stopped the ST line I knew they had nothing that would pique my interest. I never liked the looks of the 'busa and the Kawasaki seemed a bit too tame. The adventure bikes were never quite my cup of tea either.
If you enjoy your K1200S, I'm sure you're going to love the K1300S when you're ready to make the jump. I love everything about mine. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made and really don't want to part with it if I can avoid it. The only thing it needs is a yearly maintenance interval, a bit of oil when you've been naughty & excellent rubber! The only downside: it eats batteries for breakfast (every two years if you want to avoid surprises).

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,264 Posts
I spun through the posts and you are doomed. Too bad. The best bike is the K bike.

·
Registered
BMW K1300S 2010
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I spun through the posts and you are doomed. Too bad. The best bike is the K bike.
@Beech you are absolutely right. I had a decent look around & considered everyone's excellent feedback and am coming to this very conclusion. I'll do everything I can to import my K1300S into Mexico. Wish me luck!

In the mean time, for your viewing pleasure, here's a photo of the bikes that I can't drive right now because they're in one country & I'm in another... :-(

Suzuki GSX-R1000 2001 & BMW K1300S 2010.

Cheers all!

·
Registered
BMW K1300S 2010
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

This sure is a nice example of a "keeper" coming directly from the original definition of a sport-tourer. Probably another example of bikes (like my K1300S) that will be relegated to the museums, sadly.

·
Registered
BMW K1300S 2010
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Slightly off topic but "food for thought" on the new definition of Sport-Touring which is now heavily biased towards the "Adventure" type. Here's what happens when the marketing department sells you the idea of "increased ground clearance" without stating any specs whatsoever (I defy anyone to find the ground clearance spec in BMW's documentation for the S1000XR ;-)

Here's an image of the K1300S superimposed over the S1000XR. See the red oval? That's the exhaust canister for the S1000XR. Needless to say that I don't generally trust the marketing department very much...

·
Registered
BMW K1300S 2010
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hello everyone,

I know that it's been quite some time since my last post but I simply wanted to close the loop on this thread. A couple of weeks ago, I went to get my beloved K1300S and brought it into Mexico. For me, it's still the best bike for my use case and I really enjoy it. "Agent-K" has now moved to it's new home for the time being and I'm expecting to enjoy many miles of shear pleasure (y)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

Cheers all!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lg_0,

Mexico huh? Well, there are great highways to gobble up just like in North America, but, there are many beaten paths for On/off road bike to give you unbelievable accessibility to roads and trails not listed on any maps.

The best motorcycle Ive used (if your keeping this marquis) for Mexico would be a used BMW F650 GS Dakkar!

Scenario: Your coming home from a beach weekend in Quintana Roo......Cancun, Cozumel, wherever.... just cruising down the highway, and up ahead (You see some commotion) there are 2 armored personnel carriers with dual 50 cal. machine guns mounted on each....lots of Police and crashed cars..... Do you really want to get involved? Personally, I'm not interested in that type of Drama anymore, and it happens more than most think.....

I prefer an out (sometimes you can do a U turn, often you can not) but you can slow down and look for a beaten foot or motorcycle path on the far right lane into the Jungle, with heavy foliage and thick tree canopy and make a detour! The advantage of a dual sport, light machine that's fairly easy to get parts for and easy to manage in a jungle.

As far as missing your K Bike...... I had to import my K-Bike from The USA to Thailand and it was a fight all the way for 18 months.....It's a sickness. Still my favorite, even with the small armada of Bikes that I have now.

Happy Hunting!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
BMW K1300S 2010
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I hear you @Bradmiester and your scenario makes plenty of sense for Mexico. You see a lot of BMW GS's around here and for good reasons. You pretty well can go anywhere with this thing. Unfortunately for me, I've never done anything else than "pavement" sport touring, so the only experience I have with going off-road is with my mountain bike (of which I do a significant amount). I don't know if moving over to a GS is in the cards for me since, after many years, my body is molded to the shape of a sports machine with clip-ons & rear-sets (I just love it). Like you, I've owned a few Kawasaki Ninjas, mainly the classics from the late 80s ('85 Ninja 600, '874 Ninja 900, 88' ZX-10).

BTW: How does your Kawasaki 1000 H2 SX SE compare to your K1200S (or the K1300S, if you've driven it)? It sure sounds like a serious weapon! ;-)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts