BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Westco battery, new in the box, which I don't need to install this season. How long can I leave it on the shelf before it is no longer a viable choice to put in the bike?

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
If you just leave it on the shelf for up to a year it will be gradually going flat.

If you store it in a cold garage or outhouse, a flat battery can freeze and split its case in Winter!

If you want to store that new battery ready for use, consider buying a cheap tender and keep it connected 24/7.

Nothing fancy with microcomputers and flashing leds.

If you do not want to spend the money, you can use an old 18-19 volt laptop dc power supply with a series diode and resistor. Adjust the resistor for about 50 -100mA small charge current on a good fully charged battery.

If you bought an Odyssee type that has lower self discharge it MAY sit ok for a year, but I would not risk it without a tender connected.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
229 Posts
voxmagna said:
If you just leave it on the shelf for up to a year it will be gradually going flat.

If you store it in a cold garage or outhouse, a flat battery can freeze and split its case in Winter!

If you want to store that new battery ready for use, consider buying a cheap tender and keep it connected 24/7.

Nothing fancy with microcomputers and flashing leds.

If you do not want to spend the money, you can use an old 18-19 volt laptop dc power supply with a series diode and resistor. Adjust the resistor for about 50 -100mA small charge current on a good fully charged battery.

If you bought an Odyssee type that has lower self discharge it MAY sit ok for a year, but I would not risk it without a tender connected.
I can only talk about Odysseys because I've had a lot to do with them,but a fully charged one with no drain will stand for 12 months no probs,the important bit is where you keep them,ideally in the house or certainly room temp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts