BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting some extra lights for night riding on the GT. Any recomendations of brand and specifications as well as mounting pros and cons would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The PIAA 1100X's provide excellent results for my GT. I mounted them under the front cowl (under the oil cooler) using the EZ brackets. Besides providing an amazing amount of light spread on the road, the triangle pattern of the headlight with the two PIAA's make me more noticeable.

Check Cyclegadgets or pics and prices.

I also used the autoswitch so I can toggle them on/off with the turn signal cancel button.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
texsus said:
Looking into getting some extra lights for night riding on the GT. Any recomendations of brand and specifications as well as mounting pros and cons would be appreciated.
Thanks!
In addition to replacing the existing low beam with a HID headlight, I might also recommend the PIAA 1100X/EzyMount system sold at www.cyclegadgets.com

HID for the K1200LT (which is the same for the K1200RS/GT) can be found at www.hid-online.com

·
Registered
258 Posts
lites

Piaas on my GT. Great light at night, help with keeping you noticeable during the day and that blue tint is very cool.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ricbob said:
....and that blue tint is very cool.
Righto! Especially with the gray-green metallic.

Might not be the fastest color, but the ladies swoon over it....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Touring Set-up

I have Piaa's down low for visibility during the day and to flood the front and side with light at night. The Hella's are up high, wired into the high beam switch to turn night into day. Not pretty, but one hell of a deer finder at night.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bandera said:
I have Piaa's down low for visibility during the day and to flood the front and side with light at night. The Hella's are up high, wired into the high beam switch to turn night into day. Not pretty, but one hell of a deer finder at night.
Do you have pictures of the Hellas? Which ones do you have and where did you get them?
Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
PIAA Bulb Changes

I also use the PIAA 1100 x's and am happy with the output.

I have had numerous bulbs blow / break over the last few months, maybe 5.

Not sure why but my comment / concern is this:

It is not easy to switch out the old for the new as the contacts bend VERY EASILY and also break off. This is noticable when you remove the old bulb. These bulbs are around $38 each from cyclegadgets.com so it is serious business. NOTE: I would suggest that you replace these bulbs while alone, you don't need Bud, Sam, Ms Miller or PBR to help. Have them over only when the job is done. Sam may of cost me 1 of the 5.

The directions on the PIAA bulb package are in Chinese and I am not a linguist so perhaps one is supposed to put motion lotion or some other lubricant on the contacts. Do we have thoughts out there?

Do the MOTO lights have a similar issue? Are they easier to switch?

I use my "Strictly Business" (K12GT Grey Green) mostly for short trips in and around my immediate area on business so I have on / off on / off allot. That maybe the reason for my frequent replacement experience.

·
Registered
275 Posts
UFO - your not kidding. You don't have to worry about seeing dear or any other creature you will scare the shit out of them when they see you coming and man let no one say they did not see you. Great setup.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Motolites

Took a look at their web site - lifetime warranty on their product and they replace bulbs also for the same period.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wunderlich?

I saw some cool Wunderlich lights at the Long Beach convention this weekend in the Santa Cruz BMW display. Price around $220. Wondered if anyone had input/comparison to the 1100's that everyone seems to love. These looked smaller, but seemed as powerful. Any knowledge? Sorry, don't have a model number, but will contact Santa Cruz. Cheers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sumner,
I've never had problems with the PIAA's - neither frequent bulb outtages nor contact problems you mention. I have the 1100's mounted near the brake calipers on my Triumph, so they are subject to considerable vibration and never had an outtage in 2 years. The 1100's on my SUV have required one bulb replacement in 3 years, but I went ahead and did both at once. The 1100's on the GT have been OK all season.

Are you seeing any kind of corrosion on the contacts? If so, perhaps a dielectric grease might be prudent to help keep the moisture out. It might also help on install. You might contact PIAA and see what they say.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Piaa light kits...

After some research, I have found (complete) Piaa 1100X light kits for a range between $219.99 to a low of $165.99. A Piaa #1192 light kit, is a Piaa #1192 light kit. The best prices I have found on the site are $229. to over $300. !! . Check out Amazon.com (yup, Amazon.com), autoanything.com, truckaddons.com, LBTmotorsports.com, wheel1.com
Good luck. Make sure your kit(s) say "new" in box.

·
Registered
398 Posts
andy45320 said:
http://secure.electronicart.com/www_motolight_com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1071

I think they are very inconspicuous when off, but form a good UFO triangle when on.
I have the Piaa 1100x with the ez brackets and my wife has the motolights. We much prefer the motolights. They are more rugged both the housing and the bulbs themselves. I prefer the lower mounting on the calipers as there is better separation when seen from the distance. The triangle pattern I think might get drivers' attention better. At night with low speed turns, the light turns with the steering.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sumner said:
Do the MOTO lights have a similar issue? Are they easier to switch?
We have not replaced any bulbs yet on my wife's motolights, but the bulbs are guaranteed for life! I replaced the bulbs are my Piaa 1100x after 18 months. How do you have the relay powered? I used the parking lamp in the headlight, so the PIAAs are off when the starter is engaged, I think that is important for max bulb life.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I'll second the HID low beam and the PIAAs. The PIAAs, when mounted under the oil cooler (EZ Mount is a good one) and aimed correctly, will provide all sorts of illumination on the sides of the road, where the low beam can't reach. The HID low beam will so increase your seeing power during nighttime riding that you'll end up like the rest of us with HID and proclaim it the best investment you've ever made. :bmw:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts