BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about the last 750 miles I have been beating on the GT like it owes me money. Lots of speed/clutchless shifting at high revs, heavy braking, high speeds and hard accelerations. Probably nothing like the test riders at BMW do, but still a lot more than Wally Weekend Rider does.

For the past 2 days I have returned to "normal" riding and I have noticed three things.

1) The mpg has gone from 46.5 to 49.2 mpg.

2) The first 3 gears aren't nearly as clunky.

3) The low speed choppiness has become less frequent but more pronounced when it does happen.

I have not yet had the bike upgraded to 7.0 and I am approaching 3700 miles.

Just an FYI, it may mean nothing.

Brian

·
Registered
838 Posts
bnblazer said:
For about the last 750 miles I have been beating on the GT like it owes me money. Lots of speed/clutchless shifting at high revs, heavy braking, high speeds and hard accelerations.
Is there any other way to ride? :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
great thread......
i LOVE it

where o where is my bike :(

·
Registered
838 Posts
Seriously though Brian, I can almost live with the abruptness in the throttle. I seem to have adapted to it. But what I can't figure is the shifting between 1 & 2 and to some extent 2 & 3.

What I find most unusual is that when I first start out in the morning (ambient temp of about 20C) before the bike warms, it shifts like a hot knife through butter. Perfect, smooth, quiet little snicks. This lasts about a 1/2 mile, for maybe two, sometimes three shifts up and/or down. Then bingo, as soon as the bike is warm, the shifting returns to its noisy, clunky, regular behavior.

It must have to do with the oil viscosity. My hope is that when I switch over to synthetic in about two more oil changes (interval of about every 6,000 km) that this may have a dramatic affect on shifting behavior.

I'm still reading the reports on the impressions of the V7 upgrade and awaiting Joe and El Jeffe's comments on this, but I will probably commit to the upgrade based on what I'm reading thus far. My Dealer is very reluctant, but I've turned him on to El Jeffe's CIP V7 thread and he is gaining an appreciation.

Any thoughts on oil type/viscosity affecting shifting behavior?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SKIZIKS said:
It must have to do with the oil viscosity. My hope is that when I switch over to synthetic in about two more oil changes (interval of about every 6,000 km) that this may have a dramatic affect on shifting behavior.Any thoughts on oil type/viscosity affecting shifting behavior?
I have thought that this might be the case as well. This may sound strange, but I think that the "thicker" cooler oil may cause some resistance that resists some of the harshness of the shift. I agree that a synthetic may help, especially one formulated for operating in higher heat ranges.

Brian

·
Registered
531 Posts
SKIZIKS, why is your dealer reluctant to install the 7.0 upgrade? do they not have faith in the software or doubts about the installation procedure??? i had the 7.0 upgrade done on my 2006 "S" at desimone in NJ and they had no issues whatsoever about installing the upgrade on my bike. just curious

·
Registered
838 Posts
Wellcraft,

I would guess "ignorance" as the fundemental reason. Ignorance coupled with the standard warnings from BMW regarding the upgrade. My dealer has sold a total of about 6 bikes this upgrade could apply too. I may be the only customer aware of it and interested enough to inquire about it.

These guys aren't really focused on BMWs. Their business is primarily Yamaha bikes and quads. But without riding 700 km to Montreal, they're all we've got. As it is, they're still a 250 km ride (one way) for me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have my 600 service this Saturday and like others I've been watching the posts like a hawk for the pros and cons, mostly pros on the upgrade. So far, I hate to say, I'm not completely convinced yet. Does anyone have serious first hand knowledge that we should all have the chip upgrade or not? Besides this, I can't wait to get down to some serious riding! I've already tested the corning ability and it absolutely unbelievable for a bike this big. Now I want to know what's lurking in the high end of the rpm range.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John06KGT said:
Now I want to know what's lurking in the high end of the rpm range.
I am going to really show my geekness here.

Remember the scene from the original Star Wars where Han Solo pushes the "throttle" of the Millennium Falcon and the stars just become white streaks as they jump into hyper-space? It's like that... :D

Brian

·
Registered
838 Posts
And to go even further . . .

My fellow club members call my bike "The Starship Enterprise" since it seems to have warp drive and disappears into those blurring stars Brian referenced.

·
Registered
96 Posts
first throttle twist...

During the first part of my demo ride...I slipped the clutch real easy in first and was real easy on the throttle up an incline about 300 yards to a stop sign.

My last bike was a Vmax and with the VBoost it really kicked ass at 3,000 + rpm.

Ok...I turn left, easy on the throttle, let out the clutch, headed in a straight direction..twisted the throttle like I was riding the VMax and the bike almost jumped out from underneath me. The KGT's VBoost is instant....since it was a demo bike I treated it with respect. But....it sure got my attention - real quick.

Cheers.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've got about a 100 mile ride from the dealer to my house. So after the service (and I'll have them do the chip update too) it's THROTTLE WHACKING TIME!

As soon as I can post bond I'll give you my first impression of an untethered 152 hp, K1200GT. :rotf:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts