BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to tak off my K75's FD to have a look at the state of affairs. When I took of the FD, a few drops of oil dripped out. Is that a worry? Then, when I cleaned the FD end a bit, this little pin came out:

Looks to me like a piece from a pin bearing or something like that...?

The splines looked in good condition to me, well lubed too:

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,351 Posts
That's from a bearing. Not sure if it's from tranny or FD.

Look for slug tracks in the swing arm. If you don't see any then the oil is coming from the FD and means your pinion seal is going. 15-25 year old rubber tends to get old. Not a huge deal if it's leaking slowly but keep an eye on the FD gear oil level because you don't want that running dry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll look for slug tracks.

BTW I more or less accidentally pulled out the drive shaft, and at first I was worried that I wouldn't be able to put it back in there, but it turned out not to be too difficult. Should I pull out the shaft and clean and lube those "outer splines" too? (actually they feel well lubed already, but when I've already removed the FD..)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
86....not a paralever bike, I would have said paralever pivot bearing. So U-Joint bearing pin, but the only way they'd come out is if the U-joint self destructs like it did on my R100GS....plenty of little pins inside THAT swingarm. :)

So maybe it (the driveshaft) had failed in its earlier life and was replaced, but have a good look at what you got there now. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts