BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Little pucker action

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Paul_C 
#1 ·
Tightning the front axle after putting on road pilot 2s, bike still on jack.

Its starting to topple oh $%@) there it goes oh $%^& :yeow:

Grab it at about 20 degrees from top center. Feel shoulder do something funny

Ok I got it. Straighten it up hold it till I lower jack. Take a breather. whew.

Finish torquing everything down.

Shoulder feels like crap this am. Second victim my bike has injured in less than a week.

Yeah I know I need a front stand.

And a balancer 'cause no one fricking balances a BMW rear wheel....

Will use dyna-beeds till mark parnes starts shipping again.

Moral of the story is to remember the fundamentals I leanred 30 years ago. Only keep something on a jack for the minimum time necessary. :banghead:

See less See more
#2 ·
Well at least it sounds better than a "Big badda BOOM!"

BTW, it looks like I might actually get 6000 miles out of the PR2's I put on! Something I've never managed to achieve yet....more than 4 or 5 thousand out of a set of tires.

Yippie Ki'ya!

So enjoy the new treads at least, if not the sore arm. ;)

#3 ·
Sorry to hear your shoulder is worse today than when I talked to you last night! I have a theory, to be revealed soon, as to why it wanted to go over. (Hint: It is a balance issue.)

Being the FIRST person it injured last Saturday, (I'm still limping hard) I am trying desperately to find sympathy. Did the first part of the post sound convincing?

Make sure to let us know your experience with the beads!

#4 ·
BeniciaRT said:
Sorry to hear your shoulder is worse today than when I talked to you last night! I have a theory, to be revealed soon, as to why it wanted to go over. (Hint: It is a balance issue.)

Being the FIRST person it injured last Saturday, (I'm still limping hard) I am trying desperately to find sympathy. Did the first part of the post sound convincing?

Make sure to let us know your experience with the beads!

Dude, you want, like, a hug or something?

#5 ·
I'm still out on the Dynabeads thing.

Too little and they won't work. Too much and it may be the same. No?

Seems you need to be pretty close on how much of them you'll need to add.

I did the liquid sealant thing in my car tires and it hammered bad on the road at 40 mph. These were already balanced (with lead weight) tires. It did get better at 70 miles since the add (they say 50 miles), but there are times it just shakes still - other times not so bad.

The beads may congregate at some point and not move, like an internal molding junction of the rubber.

I don't know. Just some thoughts. :confused:

Regarding the jack, I ended up getting both front and rear PitBulls. When I use the front only, the thing begins to fold off the centerstand if I don't let the stands wheels roll towards the rear. Seems I forget this every time I use the stand until I see the centerstand begin to fold. Now I use the rear stand as well.

The GT costs big dollars no matter how it falls, worse on the right with the cases off (muffler and more front cowling area damage).

Mack

#6 ·
I've never tried Dyna-Beads, but I am using Ride-On Tire Sealant that the company claims "is designed to actually help hydrodynamically balance tires at highway speeds."

I can say that I have felt no adverse effects relating to tire/wheel balance, and I haven't needed to test the "sealant" properties, but if I can get both benefits for the price of one, it's worth a try in my opinion.

#7 ·
iflybricks said:
Dude, you want, like, a hug or something?
That would be a good start,:ghug: since Hazard didn't even offer that as I lay writhing in pain!!!:snowlaff: He did share an excellent bottle o' vino however, but I guess that wasn't enough for the Karma Gods...:rotf:

edit: In my first post, after re-reading it, I meant I was trying to find sympathy for Hazard, not for me... But I'll still take the hug!!!

#8 ·
The very first day I had my bike, I was showing off the baby like a new father. As I was dismounting to the left and leaning the bike over it went over a little too far and I realized I hadn't put the kickstand down. :yeow: Luckily my leg prevented any scratches. Even with my sidi boots, my mangled foot was bruised for a week. This was a small cost to pay however. Very embarrassing to say the least. :teeth

#12 ·
Oh I got plenty of sympathy last night :teeth

Regarding the hug, er how about some more wine......

BeniciaRT said:
edit: In my first post, after re-reading it, I meant I was trying to find sympathy for Hazard, not for me... But I'll still take the hug!!!

#13 ·
I made a front wheel stand out of some 3/4 inch plywood I had lurking in a corner. Plus a couple of bits of 3x2. Used 1/2" socket wrench extensions to slip into the holes below the calipers. Works a treat. Replaced 2 front tyres so far, never had a wobbly moment.

#14 ·
Paul_C said:
I made a front wheel stand out of some 3/4 inch plywood I had lurking in a corner. Plus a couple of bits of 3x2. Used 1/2" socket wrench extensions to slip into the holes below the calipers. Works a treat. Replaced 2 front tyres so far, never had a wobbly moment.
Hmmmm Got any pictures?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.