BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of the grey OEM side bags for a K1200S. I sold the bike, and stupid me, I did not unlock the bags. Is there a way I can disassemble the bags and remove the locks so that the new owner of the bags can have them re-keyed? I don't have access to the old ignition key that worked with the bags.

Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
wcisse said:
I have a set of the grey OEM side bags for a K1200S. I sold the bike, and stupid me, I did not unlock the bags. Is there a way I can disassemble the bags and remove the locks so that the new owner of the bags can have them re-keyed? I don't have access to the old ignition key that worked with the bags.

Thanks!
Your old ignition key that he has unlocks the bags. Give the bags to the buyer and he should be able to open them. Right, or is there some other "thing" complicating this??

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I think what he's saying is that he sold the bike to someone who did not want the bags. Now he would like to sell the bags to someone else, but they're locked and he doesn't have the key anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I sold the bike without the bags and no longer have access to the ignition key. All I have is the locked bags. I'm wondering if I can somehow disassemble the bags, or least get them open to get access to the back of the lock cylinders so I can remove them. I'd hate to have to drill them out - I'd probably make a mess of them. Maybe I'm the first idiot who has lock their bags and lost the keys! LOL!

·
Registered
749 Posts
A BMW dealer can cut you a key from the Vin number alone for 58.00 USC.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
2008-K1200GT said:
A BMW dealer can cut you a key from the Vin number alone for 58.00 USC.
wcisse said:
Great! I'll check with the dealer. He should have my old VIN number.
Good luck. I'm betting if you're looking for a "replacement" key, you're going to need the registration with your name and address. With their emphasis on anti-theft, how are they to know that you aren't really out to reclaim your bike?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

S

·
0 Posts
chuckwilmot said:
I think what he's saying is that he sold the bike to someone who did not want the bags. Now he would like to sell the bags to someone else, but they're locked and he doesn't have the key anymore.
Ok... guess it was the "trypt drug" already dulling the senses. I'd think if a dealer knew you really well they wouldn't have any problem getting you a new key... BMW's sensitivities shouldn't matter in this case. Good luck.

·
Registered
440 Posts
call new owner, drive to a public place near his location or a place convenient for him, have him unlock it for you.

Otherwise, ask the dealer if they can open/pick it for you maybe?

S

·
0 Posts
wcisse:
Did you remove the pannier mounts before you turned the bike over to the new owner? If not, you'll have to get up with him anyway (that solves the locked case issue) 'cause whoever wants your panniers will want the mounts.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Razel said:
Good luck. I'm betting if you're looking for a "replacement" key, you're going to need the registration with your name and address. With their emphasis on anti-theft, how are they to know that you aren't really out to reclaim your bike?

You are correct you need a title, or current registration to have the key cut, but if he just sold the bike a current reg should be no problem.

·
Registered
522 Posts
keys

See if the new owner will mail you a key and then return it via mail.
Unless of course you didn't want him to know you had the bags.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the responses. I'm all set now. I drove to the dealer (90 miles away, one way) where I recently traded the bike and I unlocked the bags. They are for sale in the classified section together with a bunch of other K1200S items that I am selling. I think I have a buyer for the bags.

Thanks Again!

Wayne

1 - 13 of 13 Posts