BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have one hell of a backyard here in Oz so l would love to hear from any of you guys who have covered any long distances in recent times.
Papillio wet my appetite a little in another post where he mentioned a trip from Hobart to Cooktown but didn't elaborate much because the thread was about k bikes so Pap can you fill us in on some details and anyone else with any interesting trips.
l did a fair bit of touring as a younger man back in the late 70s on a Kwaka Z1b but it was all mainly eastcoast from Brisbane to Adelaide.( Ah the memories still linger, of overtaking 5 semis in a row on the old singlelaned Hume Hwy in the middle of the night around Gundagai )
Now that l have the perfect touring bike K1200gt its time to do some longer trips and see some places that l haven't seen by bike yet.Two trips l've done in the last year have both been awesome but still only around the eastern states.
One i'd like to share was a 2wk 5000km round trip that started on a rainy Tuesday from Melbourne and on to Canberra thru the Victorian High country and the Nsw Snowy Mountains region This region is a twisties riders paradise with undulating hills and fast sweeping bends and tight corners in the valley sections and the scenery was like another planet in certain places, the temp in June is getting pretty cold so it was great to turn on the heated grips and seat on the gt, the temp dropped to about- 4 in one spot it was cccold but the engine was purring like a tiger.Two night stop over in Canberra was great lots to see,War Museum, 2 Parliment Houses, National Art Gallery and plenty more if you want.Onto Sydney mostly freeway and a about a week spent visiting family and old school buddies.Left Sydney and headed up north to Tarre for a few days with friends,mostly all 3 laned highway once you leave Sydney the speed limit is 110 km but most were sitting on 130 km.Back to Sydney for 1 night and the highlight of the whole trip came when l left Campbelltown the following day and headed out to Broken Hill for the 1200 km day ride. Left early at 4am not knowing how long it would take and headed to Katoomba temps again dropped to about - 2 thru the Blue Mountains so slow and steady was the order of the morning as the road was very dark, windey and icy in sections thru the mountains, it was a relief to see and feel the sun come up just outside Lithgow about 7am from that point on the ride just got better and better as l passed thru Bathurst, Orange, Wellington and a stop at Dubbo for a pie and fuel, the scenery once again was quite spectacular and the roads fantastic with plenty of long sweeping bends and hills and blue sunny skies with the temp heading for 22 degrees.From Dubbo to Nyngan and another fuel stop at Cobar.The landscape is now a lot more arid and the highway flatter and staighter.About 50kms out of Cobar with the road as staight as a gunbarrel and not having seen a car in either direction for the last ten minutes l think the devil entered my body, we opened up the accelerator (the devil and me that is) to see what the gt will do because after all the brochures say top speed 240k No l didn't hit top speed l had full panniers and topbox on board but found myself cruising at around 160ks for about the next hour. Next stop Wilcannia for fuel up and boy did we need it even though the last fillup was only 260kms ago. The countryside is now very dry and arid and lots of goats around with smaller numbers of kangaroos every now and again.The last 200ks from Wilcannia to Broken Hill is also a great ride, two emus run across the highway at one point well ahead of me, arrive at Broken Hill around 3pm. What a fantastic days ride Yeeeha. A good feed at the pub a good nights sleep and ready for sightseeing the next day.Check out the sights of Broken Hill The Mining Museum, The Flying Doctor
Service, Pro Hart Gallery and relics of the Mad Max movie sets just out of town. Next morning up and go about 8am for the 850k ride back home to Melbourne.The day starts of pretty well but the rain sets in about 11am and doesn't stop for the whole day wet weather gear works pretty well again and l've never minded riding in the rain
Back thru Mildura, Wedderburn, Bendigo arrive in Melbourne about 5pm just in time for peak hour traffic but the grin under my helmet is from ear to ear as l know l'm not coming home from work l've just spent a magic two weeks riding my bmw K1200gt which did not miss a beat.Sure is better than a kwaka 9.
Anybody like to share some good riding trips and destinations with the rest of us.
Regards Andyfila

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
touring

I think my favourite touring rides are from Melbourne, Whittlesea, Mansfield, stop for a quick one at the Tolmie Pub (best pub in Vic) then across to the Kiewa Valley. All twisties and scenery. From the Kiewa day tours, wine and food are endless. A sleeping bag by the Upper Murray just down from the Tintaldra pub and to hell with the tiger snakes. But I am having trouble beating the wife at tours. Okay she has not seen Mer Island or Thursday, but she currently has the VW camper at Dunn Lake North Central Queensland. She had the grace to navigate to a public phone on Friday and tell me Dunn Lake is heaven. Other places she has camped at recently include Innisford near Cunnamulla, a two person one pub town. She left in June , back in October. Visits most places off the tourist track, but visited the Boulia camel races this year. While her counterparts are sitting in Gods Waiting Room, or shopping for their husbands, she is living the life. I usually visit on my K, packing a tent, but this winter I am staying home paying bills and entertaining international and interstate visitors, damn them. Wonder if she is away during this period cos it is too cool here, or that is when the rates etcetera are due. The old VW camper has visited many stations and out of the way places around the Territory, WA and Qland, and when I go I promise to myself that I will ride slowly, when I camp with her I will stay still for a week and talk to the wild camels and thieving birds that hang around the site. But damn it! I get on the K and all I want to see is that white line flicking past in a blur. If you want to know what it is like or where go go, don't ask the Leyland Brothers, check with us.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Filodian

Another long distance group to consider is the FarRiders (www.farriders.com).

Based in Australia and headed by Davo Jones, there are "ride to eat" days where we FarRiders cover a minimum 1000km in the 24 hours over any route you choose. The May 09 rides involved a combined total of about 125,000km during the 24 hours without an accident, major breakdown, nor traffic infringement notice.

Although 1000km days have been completed recently on postie bikes, your GT seems a great choice for such trips.

During the last 2 years I have completed 1000km days on:
Suzuki GSX-R750 (overnight 1000km, a 1500km day, 3000km in 60 hours),
BMW K1200R (1000km 3 times, 10000km in the first 10 weeks),
Blackbird (1000km on the first day),
Hayabusa (3500km in the first 5 days, 1000km in 14 hours over the Snowys including hitting a roo and getting a flat tyre replaced),
Kawasaki GTR 1400 (4500km in 5 days of twisties in the USA)
and even a Kawasaki ER-6F I bought on ebay from Melbourne and rode home the first day.

ps even did a 1000km on my MT-01 with its 1700cc engine and silly 15 litre tank :tim :tim :tim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the good feedback and contact links guys.l will definetly check them out.
1200 kms has been the longest to date for me on one ride. l do most of my riding with 2 sons but they are not as keen as l am to sit in the saddle all day, they ride sportsbikes so l can see their point of view. Seems like every time l go out now l've just got this urge to chew up kms, most of my Sunday rides are now becoming 4 - 500 kms trips.
Regards Andyfila

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Filodian,

Thanks for the 'way out west' ride report. Yup, it is sure a lucky country with all those empty roads.

I have to say you had courage doing 160km/hr over the Wilcannia flats. Been across there more times that I care to remember, and after a wet, the 'roos (and rabbits, goats, scrubbers) are as thick as flies. Good you didn't choose to ride across at night, came across also sorts of animals lying on the road soaking up the warmth from the asphalt. Even cleaned up a mob of sheep about 1/2way across to the 'Hill.

What was 79 like down to Wentworth? Never been down that track.

My longest ride (20yrs ago) was off the Ferry at Melbourne, and straight up 39 to Cessnock. It started to rain at Gundy, and didn't stop. Got to Cessnock about midnight, and they had to basically pry me off the bike, could hardly move. That was on my CB250RS. Geeze, when I think about that now...kinda stupid. Didn't cost much in fuel but...

One trip I am sort of planning (long term) is across the Gunbarrel from The Alice to Laverton, and onto Kalgoolie. Will do that on a GS, problem at the moment is the fuel stops...lot of low speed work as the road has deteriorated. Been reading up a lot on the 4WD forums, and there are some good tips.

@Paps

Did you go inland or down the coast to Maryborough then across through Joh's country? Either way, long ride...musta had a sore a$$ after that one.

@ox34

Cool website. Notice they have a ride in my home state in a coupla weeks. Would be nice.

Cheers,

Bloke

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
South ride

Big , Bloke Re the ride south, chucked a righty at Rocky, down through Banana . Hit a crow at 180, nearly ripped my arm off. Rarely under 180 and arrived stone deaf at about 1700

·
Registered
216 Posts
Done the stretch Perth <> Melb now 9 times, it's a blast...

Mainly straight, but if you take the not so travelled roads after Port Augusta and go through the back to Adelaide, Central NSW then down, it's a great ride.

Best was 39 hours from Perth to Bendigo (3400K's) for Christmas. (which I then slept through! :) )

Bry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
baytown said:
Try this link, as I couldn't get the first above to open.

Ken

http://www.farriders.com/farriderte.htm
Great link Ox and Ken this is right up my alley and they have a ride organised for Sept 19th to Tottenham nsw, just my luck under normal circumstances l would have already put my name down but I'll just have to wait and see see what pans out over the next few weeks as I had a left knee arthroscopy done last Thursday which just went a little beyond minor so we'll just see how she heals up.The gt riding position puts a really good strain on the knee joint and stretches everything to the max , as the doc said take it slow and steady for a little while.

@ Bloke Not sure it was courage just that the conditions were perfect on the day and when you're on a machine like the gt it's hard not to test it out and put it thru it's paces.
The run down to Wentworth, it was mostly raining so it was a milder ride than the previous leg, road more winding and greened up a bit closer to Mildura still very picturesque.
Regards Andyfila

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bry said:
Done the stretch Perth <> Melb now 9 times, it's a blast...

Mainly straight, but if you take the not so travelled roads after Port Augusta and go through the back to Adelaide, Central NSW then down, it's a great ride.

Best was 39 hours from Perth to Bendigo (3400K's) for Christmas. (which I then slept through! :) )

Bry
Only done the Perth- Melborne once in a big 4wd full of kids and towing a 20ft van but l could imagine it would be a blast on a bike. What bike did you ride and which part of the year is best weather wise. We've got friends that moved across 2yrs ago so l do have a reason to go that way at some point in time
Regards Andyfila.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to hijack...

I trundled across there a 'number' of times, and Spring or Autumn is best. The cliffs in the Bight are just great, and if you time it right, you can see whales calving in the Bight. After the 90 mile, you could always make a right hander just after Balladonia and go up to the Railway line...or make a left hander and go down to Cape Arid...need a 4wd or a GS for that one. I did that in '07.

Don't go across the Paddock in summer on a bike as it gets into the 40's and will dehydrate you in no time. And if something goes wrong, it is a long way between roadhouses. Between Ceduna and Norseman, from memory there are only 7 decent roadhouses in 1200km. Oh, carry water, and lots of it, although there is a lot more traffic nowadays...

If you are going to dash across, check the weather, and when you see a front associated with a low moving to Perth, leave Mel, and you should meet it somewhere around the WA/SA border. I have seen millions of rabbits out in the middle of the Paddock, where near the waterholes, the roads were basically covered in a layer or fur. After it dried out, they had all gone. There are/were quite some rabbit shooters around Caiguna.

...end of hijack

Bloke

·
Registered
23 Posts
We (me and a couple of mates) do the GP and WSB every year from Kalgoorlie (and Perth).
Leave Kal Wednesday am and get there Friday lunchtime. All up around 3100k's.
Mate rode from Ceduna through to Perth last year in 1 hit (2000k's). I do Ceduna to Kalgoorlie every time in 1 day (1450k's) on either a 07GT or a 07Adv without too many dramas.We rarely ride less than 1000k days because of the remoteness of where we are.
Leaving Wed 24th for another run.
See you down at the island and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
outback

Years ago I taught the wife to drive. In the 90,s I got her into long distance travelling. Then got her a VW camper. Now she longs for the outback roads. She spends about 4 months a year travelling in places lots have never heard of, and does not mind house sitting or pulling beers to help the budget. I ride the bike and see her on odd occasions, she does not cover the distance to suit me, plus she camps in one spot for too long. But onto the long distance riding. I have a Nolan helmet, basically the open face with the flip down Perspex. Stopped at Coonabarabran after riding about 600 k in the rain. Filled up with petrol and entered the servo. I have my face fully exposed. The girl at the register tells me to take off my helmet. Now to do that I have to have fingers. To find fingers I have to take off gloves which are tucked up in my waterproofs. To get a those I have to take off my coat. To get dressed again with wet gloves is going to be a bitch. Hell I am waving a twenty around, all I want is a bit of change to slip into my waterproof pants pocket. So I shout out. "Cant hear ya. Stone deaf from wind noise. Pump number 5." She keeps shouting that she cant serve me with a helmet on and I keep shouting replies inconsistent with what she is demanding. After a while she takes my dough just to get rid of me. I could not give a shit about company policy and helmets. Wonder what she would have done if their had been a Muslim woman standing behind me. Besides walking in with a helmet on, of any sort, with a piece of paper money clearly displayed can not be considered threatening.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts