BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a totaled 1998 K1200RS with only 5K miles on it... and have not settled with the insurance yet... I hit the wheel of a car that was perpendicular to me I hit it going about 30MPH broke my front fork bent in my frame ETC ETC ETC.. $18500 is the repair estimate from Bob's BMW in MD. I looked up the Blue book on my bike and its $6k retail......

I'm potentially looking for a donor bike with a blown engine maybe? I don't know what to do I know I'm not going to be able to get a comparable bike with the payout I'm going to get. I'd like to get some info on what others have done before me in similar cases... I loved my K bike just didn't get to get out as much on it as I would have liked to. thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would contact EVERY motorcycle salvage yard you can find. ie. Safari cycles.com in Los Angeles, The Parts Haus in Long Beach, Ca. etc. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
call Fred at cyclesrecycled. He has a 04GT with about 10K on it with just a few pieces missing. Windscreen, gripends a bit buggered. Says it runs great.

828-433-1067

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Finding a bike frame with that few miles is going to be real tough....should be able to find a running bike of that year for little money....then you'll have 2 engines to run up to 200,000 miles...gives you something to ride until your ready to swap out engines...hows your drive line?...that's another plus to have on hand

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drive train is great just replaced rear seal it was leaking a little prob from age
yea I get you point on the hard to find low miles on this old of a bike with blown motor...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know for sure, but $6K is going to get you pretty close to a decent K12RS. Totally reassembling a combination broken bike and/or parts heap into a good running bike is a roll of the dice for sure. Cash in your insurance check, go shopping, and if necessary, spend a few more $ to get back on the road. Lastly, sell whatever parts you can on ebay from your wrecked bike. I once tried to rebuild and crashed bike from someone else's parts, and I'll never do it again; especially on a complex bike like a BMW K.

Good Luck!

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts