BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my ECU on my 2004 K1200GT. I am having throttle problems on cold starts. My understanding from BMW service bulletin this is an ECU problem that can be fixed by replacing with the above part #. I am looking for a good used part.
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look at EBay "2004 BMW K1200GT ECU COMPUTER MODULE", they have one right now for $150. with "Buy It Now", and Shipping/Handling for $15. Darn Good Deal!!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
The problem is that most used parts will be the same or older than what is already on the bike. Then you have this problem of trying to work out just what those BMW part numbers really mean. Somebody tell me when they find out! You would have to be very lucky to find a used broken bike with the latest ECU.

I already know that different firmware can be used for bikes with and without cruise.

That one on Ebay is a code 7-673-166.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I bought a 03 RS last year that was very very cold blooded on start up, it would take up to 5 minutes before it stopped stumbling. They all do that said the PO.......well all it took to fix it was a throttle cable adjustment and TPS reset. Now I can take off within 30 seconds without any stumbling. :teeth

Yes, I had seen the info on ECU replacement to fix that problem, I was sure glad I did not have to do that. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I replaced the Motronic in my '03 with the improved one. I was unhappy with the "improved" one because while it was easier to ride away with a cold engine, it surged when warmed up. I went back to the original. I have since discovered that the improved item turns the O2 sensor off and on at idle, which probably allows for the quicker warm up.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
When they say 'improved' and fit a different part on later bikes I'm a bit suspicious because newer oem vehicles have had to meet more stringent EU emissions year on year. Because the Bosch multi point efi design is now pretty old, there is not much you can do except play with ECU firmware.

The result has to be leaner mixtures and regulations kick in for idle, particularly because of the requirements to reduce city pollution.

The only 'improvements' I would expect would be in gas mileage and that gives a clue as to how it was achieved.

My old '97 has an ecu with 12 year old obsolete chips in it. Its gas consumption isn't as good as the figures for new bikes. But it starts on the button in any temperature, idles well, and never misses a beat or surges.

I'm not an enthusiast of aftermarket tuning chips, but when the oems are hang tied with regulations, it does offer an option worth considering.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you'll note in the repair manual for the RS/GT. When recharging a dead battery, or replacing a new battery.
If you'll turn on the key, but, not start, and slowly roll the throttle to full open, then slowly return back to stop, then roll open and close 2-3 times. Then turn off key, wait a second and then start, it will reset the throttle part of the computer. This may or may not reset to default for the correct idle.
Alot less then $150.00. :phonecall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts