BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to trailer the 04 K1200GT for my move to Florida, but it went with the moving van.

Just put some fuel in it and found that the right mirror is loose at the base inside the housing in front of the start/kill switch. I’ve never worked on the handle bars. Is there a nut under the housing that’s loose, or something worse? It may have gotten stressed from a holding strap during the move.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There's a nut in there that you can turn with a 6mm Allen wrench. (It's an odd round nut with an Allen socket in one end.) If you put your fingers on the underside of the switchgear, you can feel the socket.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
They are designed to fold back ~30- 40degrees for trailering,storage or in case of hit.Between the base and stem there is a ball,spring/socket type retainer.

Just in case there are grits in that mechanism I'd further loosen the mirror and flush that out with WD40.

·
Registered
735 Posts
As posted earlier by another member there is a underside Allen nut (metric size). You hold the TOP of mirror in position you want and using the other hand tighten this underside nut. Tighten slowly so as to feel when the mirror is just tight enough so that the wind does not move it with speed - you do NOT want to overtighten this nut more than required.

See GREEN arrow in attached photo below - similar nut located under left side handlebar. Disregard the yellow arrow in photo.

Your 04 K1200GT should have the round mirrors as shown in 2nd photo below - unless they were changed by previous owner. Most early K1200RS of 1997-2000 also had the round mirrors. Later on, for the facelift 2nd generation K1200RS BMW installed rectangular mirrors on same mount.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts