BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 98KRS and have lost the right hand bag 3 times in the first two years I had the bike. I found the bolts that hold the bracket on were loosening and lock tightened them this helped but lost it again in wyo. at night in the rain it was a bitch. Dose anyone have a good fix, is this a normal thing? :tim

·
Registered
764 Posts
cihm said:
I've got a 98KRS and have lost the right hand bag 3 times in the first two years I had the bike. I found the bolts that hold the bracket on were loosening and lock tightened them this helped but lost it again in wyo. at night in the rain it was a bitch. Dose anyone have a good fix, is this a normal thing? :tim
You mean the bolts that hold the frames to the bike - frames that the bags attach to, right? That is a problem, but the right Loctite usually solves it. Several manufacturers make thread-locking stuff - Loctite codes their with colors. If I remember right, blue Loctite is one that holds, but not so tight. Do know that red holds real tight - that's what I used and have never had a problem with those bolts since.

But there's another way to lose a bag - the frames themselves get worn down where the bags attach. When that happens bad enough, the bag is loose and could come off. A temporary fix is to wrap the worn spot with electrical tape - will work for awhile. I have a new set of frames in my garage I need to get mounted because the tape is wearing thin. (Hope the red Loctite doesn't hold so hard I can't get the bolts loose.)

·
Registered
589 Posts
There was an article on this on the original site, with pics I think. Fellow drilled a hole through the split tab on the bottom front of the bag, where the split tab slides over the plastic block on the frame. Slid a 1/4' pin with a wire bail through the hole, effectively keeping the bottom mount from disengaging. I gotta remember to do this before I go to Alaska!

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I think that was from LOCUS

Bobmws said:
There was an article on this on the original site, with pics I think. Fellow drilled a hole through the split tab on the bottom front of the bag, where the split tab slides over the plastic block on the frame. Slid a 1/4' pin with a wire bail through the hole, effectively keeping the bottom mount from disengaging. I gotta remember to do this before I go to Alaska!
... and it seems to me he indicated that the european police do it to their bikes.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
drilled em

Did the drill the mounts at the bottom, have to be careful where you drill so you go through the plastic bumper only, used a stainless steel big diaper pin looking thing to lock em on. 800 mile trip no problems.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bobmws said:
I did something similar after losing a bag on the Garden State Parkway (NJ). It ended up next to the Jersey barrier where I couldn't stop to get it. The NJ State Police retrieved it for me and met me at a rest area!

Haven't lost a bag since doing this simple fix.

Ken

·
Registered
651 Posts
allenclarkson said:
(Hope the red Loctite doesn't hold so hard I can't get the bolts loose.)
In case you weren't aware, usage of red Loctite requires the application of heat to break the fasteners free.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
dkeven said:
thats it thats where I drilled the hole and used a big safety pin thing. No need for ty-wraps
The pin is a much better idea...I just couldn't find the posts and pics in the archives. It's there, somewhere, and Locus was the poster, but my brain just can't come up with a keyword for the search that doesn't return lots and lots of posts to wade through. Besides, if you misplace the pin, a ty-wrap will work as an alternative.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
589 Posts
dkeven said:
Did the drill the mounts at the bottom, have to be careful where you drill so you go through the plastic bumper only, used a stainless steel big diaper pin looking thing to lock em on. 800 mile trip no problems.
I remember it had to be offset. Do you recall the measurement from the edge so you only hit the plastic?

·
Registered
166 Posts
How many have never lost a case? I've put about 15K miles on my '98 since last year, 99% of which are with side cases on. I check them every time I do my preflight (TCLOCS).

I'm not fond of the cases because (among other things) you have to release them from the bike in order to open them. I wonder if that leads to premature wear of the latch? And I wonder if it leads to partial latching. IIRC I have found the case loose when I thought it was latched and I fixed that before departing.

thanks,
hank

·
Registered
362 Posts
HankB said:
How many have never lost a case?
We have not lost a bag yet. 35,500 on my bike, approx. 34,000 on Debbie's. I try to check the bags before I start if the bag has been opened. I'm thinking about doing the pin thing if I can find the right size. I use a zip tie to hold my carrier plate and tail bag to the rear rack.
Reminds me of those self opening small trunks that we had on our K75s. Debbie had to make a strap to make sure the lid stayed shut when we were going down the road.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a picture that I saved from that post. I went back and searched for it and found it under " re: system case hit tire". I'll see if I can post the pic.

To clarify, search the archives category-k1200rsgt
words to search- locus
options - by user name

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
carnadero said:
In case you weren't aware, usage of red Loctite requires the application of heat to break the fasteners free.
Kinda worried about that - may be a problem when I try to replace the mounting rails :hanged
Don't think plastic will like the heat too much. But, I'll be dumping the old rails so it might work out OK.

But back to the original post. That stated loose bolts for the mounting rails but most responses have related to the bags separating from the rails, not the rails from the bike. Both can be problems.

·
Registered
589 Posts
samsdad57 said:
I have a picture that I saved from that post. I went back and searched for it and found it under " re: system case hit tire". I'll see if I can post the pic.

To clarify, search the archives category-k1200rsgt
words to search- locus
options - by user name
Thanks Robert, that's what I remembered and wanted to see regarding the location of the hole.

·
Registered
651 Posts
allenclarkson said:
That stated loose bolts for the mounting rails but most responses have related to the bags separating from the rails, not the rails from the bike. Both can be problems.
Yeah, I'll have to remember all this come late spring. Lord willing, I'll be heading out to CO on a scouting trip then and dropping a case along the way would probably not be fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts