BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On a very recent short trip I arrived at my destination to discover that my top case had simple disappeared.

The wind was extremely hard that day & I would never had heard it fall off.

Unfortunetly my wallet, bank cards, credit cards, drivers licence, ID, GT tool kit & other personel effects were also in there. What a mistake!!!!

I retraced my trip & found nothing, even calling three police stations in the area in the hope that a good samaritan had handed it in, were to no avail.

Needless to say I was ### off & phoned our local BMW dealer who had supplied me the case a few months earlier & expressed my feelings in no uncertain way.

I received a phone call the next day from the workshop manager who without prompting offered to replace it free of charge. I did not expect the case to be replaced & I consider this to be a prime example of no questions asked "Top Service", after all I might not have secured it properly to the rack as far as they were concerned!!!

Question - Has anyone ever experienced the STD BMW top case just dropping off? It was not as secure as my R1200ST top case & it's bothering me, I find myself constantly checking my mirrors to see that it's still there.

Look forward to replys

Regards
Craig

Reactions: Vanguard

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Mark:

Very interesting, I have copied the links of the two complaints & will be faxing through to my dealer. If BMW designed this case to hold to Max 80MPH, then it must. I noted that one of the complainants used bungee cords for additional security, for me this is totally unacceptable.

I am now totally peeved & will insist on a refund against my orginal purchase. If I get it right I will buy a Givi.

Thanks for your valuable input, its much appreciated.

Regards from Cape Town.

Cheers & safe riding
Craig

·
Registered
212 Posts
My Top Case Fell Off Too

Here's the short story: I have the Givi E30N (smallest they make...it's from their scooter line and looks like it came from the BMW factory) top case mounted to the BMW locking trunk plate...and it fell off at 65mph with approximately 2 pounds of stuff inside. I was able to retrieve it, scratched but intact. The dealer replaced the locking trunk plate at no charge. Here's the rest of the story. You must be very careful when mounting the locking plate on the bike rack...use some downward pressure to ensure the rubber gaskets on the locking prongs are wedged fully underneath the luggage rack, failure to do so allows a gap in the distance between the locking prongs and the rack...Not Good. I do the following after putting the BMW base plate on: I use a flat nylon strap, wind it around the locking rack and the luggage rack....if you use a thin but strong strap, it will hold the two pieces together and provide enough clearance to attach the top trunk.

By the way, when my top trunk exited the bike (with the locking base plate still attached) the Givi trunk Did Not Open....very secure locking mechanism. And the Givi E30N retails for $100.00.

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the small black BMW top case for my K1200GT. The only time I've ever used it was on a 5,000 mile trip. It stayed on the bike the whole time with no sign of coming loose. I'm glad it did too. It had a laptop inside. I'll be watching it in July on the way to Vermont.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BMW Refund

After receiving a no charge replacement box & posting my findings on the forum & very valuable info received by some of you namely, Steve (FrisbeeTiger) & Mark (Mkjeldgaard) I decided to challenge BMW South Africa on this probable design fault.

They have agreed in principal to refund my money against the orginal purchase last year in November.

I will know today the final outcome.

Thanks guys for your advise, experiences & suggestions without which I would never have got this right.

Safe riding
Craig

·
Registered
128 Posts
Case Found

Latest update... Lost case was eventually returned to Craig by a dude who was following at the time the case fell off...
Took him a little time to drill off the rivets to gain access into the box to discover who's it was. :thumb:
Craig has now ordered a Givi V46 (best case out there :))

·
Registered
653 Posts
voxmagna said:
But I think a tiewrap or something sounds a wise precaution.
Hmmm. Seeing the articles on side cases and top cases coming off has got me thinking on making some sort of backup retention system. I'm thinking along the lines of small lengths of vinyl-coated braided cable...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts