BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to hook up my Powerlet cable to the battery so my new Marsee bag will be wired for power. I knew, KNEW I was going to lose a screw or something, problem is I didn't know ahead of time which it would be. Goes like this:

Pull battery cover, done

Disconnect battery, drop a lock-washer into the battery compartment. No problem I'll pull the battery.

Let's disconnect the battery hold down bar and.......drop one of the rubber spacers into the battery compartment.

Okey dokey. Pull the battery, recover the lock washer, but the rubber spacer is no where to be found! Can't believe it would fit in there but my best guess is it's as far down as it can go in front of the tank. Maybe I can pull some tupperware and see it?

Pull the left panel, no dice. Pull the right panel and gas tank cover - drop the forward left side gas tank cover screw into the bike, ugh!

Too bad none of these screws are magnetic or it would have taken 5 minutes to gather up, instead it took an hour to lose! I could see the crew down there on a wire bundle, out of reach. Get the longest screw driver I have and get it to the left side of the wire bundle. I couldn't get my hand and probe the screw out at the same time (this took about 45 minutes of messing with to even be able to TOUCH the screw). So, I pray! Pop the screw the last little distance clear of the bundle and miss my hand, drops into the black hold that in the center of the bike. Short of picking the bike upside down and shaking it, it's gone! At least it has a rubber spacer to talk to down there.

So I still haven't hooked up the bag power and realize now that there is nothing more I can do. Button up all the tupperware (first time for me, not as bad as I thought it would be). Hook up the power, thank heavens it works or I woulda been pissed (not drunk, upset for you guys not in the states).

Gotta source myself a rubber spacer for the battery hold down and a tupperware screw (one of the short ones we have TONS of on this bike). The missing parts are no big deal - at least I didn't have parts leftover like I usually do.

So if any of you see a mystery piece of rubber or screw turn up on your garage floor - those are mine. I know how these parts seem to travel thousands of miles across the globe only to end up on other KGT owner's floors.

Rant over, thanks for playing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Don't you love it when you have an annual inspection done on your airplane and the mechanic has a hand full of left over screws!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ncooper said:
Don't you love it when you have an annual inspection done on your airplane and the mechanic has a hand full of left over screws!
Don't you love it when you're chatting in the cockpit at 41,000 feet about the windshield replacement in the logbook and find a handful of screws in the cupholder!
 

·
contributor
Joined
·
4,827 Posts
Pull the fairings and the tank.

They'll be sitting the the valley between the cylinder head and transmission.

Seems like they are gone forever but it's not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JCW said:
Pull the fairings and the tank.

They'll be sitting the the valley between the cylinder head and transmission.

Seems like they are gone forever but it's not.

I pulled all the tupperware but the tank I couldn't tackle. I'm not sure exactly which screws to remove, what's hidden (clips and such, don't need to break plastic bits off) and of course I don't want to get gas everywhere. I have sourced new tank connectors (thanks Grif) for when I do get there.

Anyone have a good pics and step by step for the tank removal? I'll need help with that one.
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
The tank is easy. Once you get all the tupperware off, there's two bolts in back that holds brackets with rubber grommets and two allen heads up front. Remove the breather hose. The next part is easier with the battery out, but I've done it with it in. You have to pull two wire sockets. The release clips aren't the push style, you have to pull up on them. There's a hose that pulls right off and the quick disconnect unplugs by pushing down on the release (reference your new part to see how it works). It's a total bitch to get the male side out of the gas tube, have fun!

Speaking of losing parts: I had a whole magnetic bowl of screws and accidentally kicked it across the garage. You're absolutely right about them not sticking to a magnet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw the two big bolts with gromments on either side of the tank and low. Thanks for the info on the connections. I don't remember seeing any wiring, but I'll find it. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
iflybricks said:
Too bad none of these screws are magnetic or it would have taken 5 minutes to gather up
Tried magnetizing the screwdriver? :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Dadicool59 said:
Tried magnetizing the screwdriver? :dunno:
Many of the BMW fasteners are stainless steel ! Magnets won't suck them up, gravity wins every time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
I've dropped more screws and stuff into the deep caverns on the GT than I can remember. I've learned it helps to keep a selection of the longer screws on hand. Every time one drops, it never seems to land on the floor. :confused:

If a mechanic ever asks me, "What's with all the sundry parts on top of your engine?" I'll blame it on "The other shop" (helps to have 2-3 dealers work on your bike besides you). :rotf:

Mack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GMack said:
I've dropped more screws and stuff into the deep caverns on the GT than I can remember. I've learned it helps to keep a selection of the longer screws on hand. Every time one drops, it never seems to land on the floor. :confused:

If a mechanic ever asks me, "What's with all the sundry parts on top of your engine?" I'll blame it on "The other shop" (helps to have 2-3 dealers work on your bike besides you). :rotf:

Mack

"the other shop", nice. (Pssst, it's me! I'm the other shop, ha!) PITA!!

Go to work tomorrow for the week, leave as soon as I get back. Have to wait for a couple weeks I guess.
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Brahma said:
I'm hoping when I die, I get a box with all of the stuff I lost in it.
I'm hoping when I die, I won't care.

That would truly be Hell. To spend eternity putting stuff together and everytime you turned around you lost a tool, or a part. Or stripped something, or wallered it out, or (insert another fuck up here).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Brahma said:
I'm hoping when I die, I get a box with all of the stuff I lost in it.
Maybe they will stick it in the box your going to be in, kind of like what they did for King Tut!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Dropping things

I've done it, too. I even dropped the little security screw driver that came with my Zumo (F**k!). I was extremely lucky to find it with a flashlight barely visible, but retrievable with a magnet!

If you really want to scare yourself....when the airbox is removed you can see directly down through the valves and into the cylinders....it's a short run...DON'T want to drop anything in there (Double F**k!!!)
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Dude said:
If you really want to scare yourself....when the airbox is removed you can see directly down through the valves and into the cylinders....it's a short run...DON'T want to drop anything in there (Double F**k!!!)
That doesn't skeer me, I'm married to a redhead. Talk about keeping one eye open when you're asleep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
I yanked those stupid screws out first thing on my zumo mounts.

Dude said:
I've done it, too. I even dropped the little security screw driver that came with my Zumo (F**k!). I was extremely lucky to find it with a flashlight barely visible, but retrievable with a magnet!

If you really want to scare yourself....when the airbox is removed you can see directly down through the valves and into the cylinders....it's a short run...DON'T want to drop anything in there (Double F**k!!!)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top