BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10am: Sunday Morning:

Was a sunny humid 86 degrees when I left the house for the 2+ hour ride to Mt Mitchell and back via the BRPW.. Not too bad for this time of the year...The "S" was running wonderfully...Started instantly and settled into a smooth 1000rpm idle. Wore full-perfed leathers and it didn’t feel bad while I was moving. For whatever reason there wasn’t many cages up on the parkway so I just picked my speed and enjoyed a leisurely ride. It’s the kind of day where you just smile at how lucky you are... when all things just seem... "as good as it gets." The bike soars by the few obstacles (read: Harleys) effortlessly.. it’s shifting smoothly.. the power is godlike.. I LOVE this bike!!

Got up to the 6000+ altitude and it was down right nippy.. cloudy, windy 62 degrees. They say that due to the altitude there are less than a dozen days a year when you can actually see through the clouds for a full view of the surrounding area. Wish I had worn a long sleeve shirt underneath but still can’t complain. I chit chat with some fellow cyclists until the cold wind is too much for my pussy sensibilities before heading back.

About ½ way back the software prob reared it’s ugly head.. Could NOT be smooth on the throttle. I microtesimally roll off the throttle and it feels like I turned the key off.. To counter I could ever so slightly roll the throttle on and my head jerks back due to the instant acceleration... no middle ground.. either totally off.. or all the way on..with only a razors edge transition from one to the other...No coasting.. On or off. I’m sure somebody following me would think I had some sort of "palsy". I ride this way for 20 miles. I get to the bottom of the mountain to a stoplight and the bike is sputtering, idle is at 1500 and bouncing from 800 back up to 15.. F#@&! I take off and for the remainder of the ride home, when I pull the clutch in to shift.. the rpms don’t die down so it’s like I’m speed shifting... Geeezz.. I get home and I’m cussing how shitty the bike is and wanting to beeatch slap a German for putting these on the market with these problems. I HATE this bike!

I take a nap...

6PM: Sunday Late day/

One good thing about living in the eastern time zone is that it doesn’t get dark until almost 9pm. Felt refreshed after my midday nap and getting a few things done around the house so I thought I’d head back up on the parkway .. South this time to Mt Pisqua.. about 50 miles there are back. It’s cooled down a bit.. 80 degrees at the house and as Mt Pisqua is only at 3000+ ft altitude.. it should be a nice ride. I put my perfed leathers back on.. The "S" is running perfectly...Started instantly and settled into a smooth 1000rpm idle. The probs earlier in the day had vanished like a bad dream.. The sun is at 3 oclock in the sky.. the wind alternates from cool to warm like an ocean breeze. The bike is effortlessly carving curves where the RS would have had me working. I LOVE this bike!!

I get up there and chit chat with the other motorcyclists that have decided to make one last ride of the day. I eat a sandwich I’ve brought with me.. sit on a hillside and gaze upon natures beauty for a full hour. It’s the kind of day where you just smile at how lucky you are... when all things just seem... "as good as it gets."

At about 5 miles from my house on the way back.. guess what rears it’s ugly little head? Yep.....It's almost unrideable the rest of the way home. Damn! I HATE this bike!
.. but.. tomorrow will be another day.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Gorgous pic Jerry! I see you've got your S tricked out in your trademark all-white. Tell me about the seat/cowl??

I demo'd a new S a few days ago. Gobs of power, feels light, handles well, sits comfortably, great bike. I'm sure they'll get the software glitch figured out.

But when I read stuff like this, I just want to walk out to the garage, look lovingly at my '03 RS, jump straight up into the air with my fist raised, and scream "YEESS!".

·
Registered
636 Posts
I love your Bike!

Damn that machine of yours is beautiful Jerry.
I'm going to upgrade my 04 GT to a 07 S, but I do read all the posts on fuel map issues etc with serious concern (I'm at sea level though here for most of my riding.)
Hope this finds you well mate, and best wishes from OZ.

Ken

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long time no see, Sir Chuck.

Thx for the compliments, gentlemen. As for the seat/cowl.. that's all Corbin. Short version.. I love them both.. for the long gory story, read my 2 part product review in both my Feb http://www.piratesk12site.net/newsletterFeb06.htm and Mar http://www.piratesk12site.net/newsletterMar06.htm chessy newsletters.

and beleive me.. I long for the carefree days when I owned my S... I'm still praying (and I'm NOT a Christian) that the Germans figure it out... I know they are working on it..

chuckwilmot said:
Gorgous pic Jerry! I see you've got your S tricked out in your trademark all-white. Tell me about the seat/cowl??

I demo'd a new S a few days ago. Gobs of power, feels light, handles well, sits comfortably, great bike. I'm sure they'll get the software glitch figured out.

But when I read stuff like this, I just want to walk out to the garage, look lovingly at my '03 RS, jump straight up into the air with my fist raised, and scream "YEESS!".

·
Registered
84 Posts
Been there, done that, GOT THE T-SHIRT!

I am with ye, brother Pirate! :banghead
Just when I was ready to "cut 'em to the brisket" and give them back my bike, my dealer offered to reflash the bike with the 6.0 software. My bike had the most current update when I bought it (7 weeks ago) and by reflashing, it has solved 98% of the issues. Still stumbles occassionally at around 2,000 rpm and once in a while, I feel like I am shifting like a "dee-da-dee", but only for a couple of gear changes. I have been able to "reset" it occasionally while riding by accelerating at a race-pace and flying through the gears, then slowing down. It's as if the bike is telling me it's getting frustrated with a slower pace, too.

Anyway, the gist is to see if they will reflash the bike for you, but be sure to write down your mileage and post it in your logbook. The reflash will erase all memory, including when your valve adjustments should be (per the on-board computer)... Don't wanna skip that little nugget of info.
:hanged

Gluck Auf!

Cheers, Mate!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pirate said:
The "S" was running wonderfully...About ½ way back the software prob reared it’s ugly head.. Could NOT be smooth on the throttle. I microtesimally roll off the throttle and it feels like I turned the key off.. To counter I could ever so slightly roll the throttle on and my head jerks back due to the instant acceleration... no middle ground.. either totally off.. or all the way on..with only a razors edge transition from one to the other...
As I previously posted, I had the same experience a few weeks ago on my stock 06 KS. About 3800 mi, running 6.0, ambient temp 88F, altitude below 1000 ft, 93 octane Amoco. After a few hours it fortunately went away and didn't recur. Behavior is exactly as you describe.

·
Registered
214 Posts
joema said:
As I previously posted, I had the same experience a few weeks ago on my stock 06 KS. About 3800 mi, running 6.0, ambient temp 88F, altitude below 1000 ft, 93 octane Amoco. After a few hours it fortunately went away and didn't recur. Behavior is exactly as you describe.
My bike has done this to me once and to a friends bike once.
What I did was pull over, shut down with the key all the way off.
Then turn the key back to on, cycle throttle fully open to close 3 times while computer boots up. Start motor, problem apparently solved.
Although you shouldn't have to do this, it seemed to correct the problem both times in my experience.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You guys with the 06's should consider yourself lucky bastards, cause my 05 does the herky jerkies consistantly. Don't confront me after I get off the bike after going through rush hour traffic in Atlanta! It won't be pleasant...
If BMW does not get it right, this will be my 1st and only BMW!

·
Registered
288 Posts
sportrider said:
You guys with the 06's should consider yourself lucky bastards, cause my 05 does the herky jerkies consistantly. Don't confront me after I get off the bike after going through rush hour traffic in Atlanta! It won't be pleasant...
If BMW does not get it right, this will be my 1st and only BMW!
Sportrider...I too have an '05 and no low rpm issues since installing the 6.0 software. Had that done on yours?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I also have a 05 that is jerky on on/off transitions but it has been much much better since I adjusted the throttle cable and tightened it up (there is now no play in it). When I got my bike I could open the throttle one or two mm before I actually felt the pull of the throttle cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys,

I read often on the forum about the software issue - stumbling, popping on deceleration etc. Funny thing is, the K12S's here in Oz don't seem have the problem. Nada, nothing, zip. I’ve done several thousand kilometers and the bike has never hiccupped once.

Similarly, a close buddy in South Africa bought his K12S at about the same time, and he has no problems – nor is he aware of other K owners in South Africa experiencing any problems. None of the owners I know here have bothered to upgrade software, it doesn’t seem to be an issue. For the record, I'm running a Laser Hotcam aftermarket slip-on, my mate in South Africa has the standard pipe, and we both have 05's.

What is going on? I’m perplexed. I hesitate to say this, but is it a problem with US fuel?

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think [hope] I am one of the lucky bastards. 3600 miles into my '06 that came with 6.0 and still with the stock pipe I have had no on/off fueling issues. I do have some burbling on decel, but not an issue really. Unless issues arise, I am in no great hurry for the new software.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No Prob's Here Either

Dunno, seems to be an individule bike issue. Certainly not software. The software should act the same in all bikes of the same rev. My "05" ran fine with the original software and was manufactured in april of 05. When it was taken in for the first service check it was upgraded to whatever rev level there was at the time (August). I now have over 4K miles on it and I have experienced none of the "stumblling, bumbleing, spitting, hit or miss issues being reported. To me these problems sound more like an issue with the enjectors or some mechancal involvement trying to carry out the software's instructions. Just a thought.
Best Regards,
Lightspeed

·
Registered
96 Posts
Me too

I am finding very very strange how some of you guys do not have this problem.

I AM WITH SPORTRIDER.

I have a 1976 Suzuki GT750 Water Bufallo's that I restored and it runs smoother at the lower RPM's then my 05 KS (04/05 Build Date), at BTW those are 2 cycle bikes.

It is an absolute [email protected]#$G joke that BMW released a bike like this. Tech rode it and told me "nature of the beast" change your riding style, this bike likes open roads and wide open throttles.

Whatever a bike should be tested and run as smooth in EVERY ROAD, and EVERY RPM. BMW has received two phone calls from me and one email. I am considering sending them an email EVERY WEEK. Until they get it right. They know something is wrong, I think its mechanical and not just software and they are trying to figure out a way to compensate the mechanical issue with a new software so they don't have to change everyone's injectors,or throttle bodies or something.....

We will see.

I test rode an 06 GT and it did NOT do that. So whatever they have done to tune down that engine and give it more low end torque works.

My two Cents

·
Registered
55 Posts
While my 06' KS is not perfect at low speeds it is nothing like some have experienced here apparently. This issue reminds me of the 02' RT I had. That thing surged at certain speeds. And 90% of the owners across the US made the same statement. Early responses by BMW was "What surge?". Then a few years later we get the new two plug head on the R motor to quote BMW "Smooth out the fuel delivery." Never admitting to a surge that I ever read. I have a feeling this is going to be the same thing. At least they will keep fine tuning the latest software which hopefully will help many here. Which was not an option on the RT's at that time.

·
Registered
431 Posts
While I fully understand that some of us are experiencing problems that border on dangerous I still can't help but wonder.... What is it we actually want from our bikes? It seems to me that some people expect the bike to be perfect! But somehow to still have character...

Yes, my K1200S is somewhat difficult to ride in traffic - IT'S A SPORTS BIKE!!! Could it be smoother, yes it could - but it is still a lot easier to ride in traffic than my RSV Factory was. And yet I am still quicker on my favourite piece of uneven tarmac.

I am willing to put up with some problems when I consider the whole package - this is one amazing bike! I feel some of us lose sight of that and only focus on the few problems this bike has. And it is only a few problems when you consider that it is a totally new bike, new frame, new suspension, new engine, everything on this bike is new! Most other bikes on the market today have technology that is several generations old.

Now, would I be glad if BMW releases a software that smooths the bike out at low revs? Of course I would. But I wont slam them because they haven't. And it wont stop me enjoying my K1200S every km I get the chance to.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hass.. the issue about which some of are complaining is NOT just about the bike not being smooth in traffic.. I could live with that although we shouldn't have to... this is NOT just the typical "quirkiness" that most BMW's always have.. I could live with that although we shouldn't have to... The Throttle Acceleration/Deceleration that me and quite a few others are upset about is a SERIOUS problem... a problem that could possibly get someone injured or worse..

When mine does it all I want to do is park it... it's THAT bad. I haven't lost sight of anything except that this is a $20,000 motorcycle and a competent rider should be able to ride it without looking like he has Cerebal Palsy.

Living with minor "personality flaws" is one thing and common for almost all BMWs... and we all choose to live with this reality. even revel in it. When the bike experiences THIS problem it's not fun, not safe. Again.. this has NOTHING to do with smoothness at low revs.. It's about rolling off the throttle and feeling like someone has turned the key off.. and then rolling it back on and you get full acceleration.. and it doesn't stop. No inbetween.. it's either full off or full on...

Until you experience it.. you shouldn't chastise, my friend.

hass said:
While I fully understand that some of us are experiencing problems that border on dangerous I still can't help but wonder.... What is it we actually want from our bikes? It seems to me that some people expect the bike to be perfect! But somehow to still have character...

Yes, my K1200S is somewhat difficult to ride in traffic - IT'S A SPORTS BIKE!!! Could it be smoother, yes it could - but it is still a lot easier to ride in traffic than my RSV Factory was. And yet I am still quicker on my favourite piece of uneven tarmac.

I am willing to put up with some problems when I consider the whole package - this is one amazing bike! I feel some of us lose sight of that and only focus on the few problems this bike has. And it is only a few problems when you consider that it is a totally new bike, new frame, new suspension, new engine, everything on this bike is new! Most other bikes on the market today have technology that is several generations old.

Now, would I be glad if BMW releases a software that smooths the bike out at low revs? Of course I would. But I wont slam them because they haven't. And it wont stop me enjoying my K1200S every km I get the chance to.

·
Registered
149 Posts
hass said:
While I fully understand that some of us are experiencing problems that border on dangerous...What is it we actually want from our bikes? It seems to me that some people expect the bike to be perfect! But somehow to still have character... I feel some of us lose sight of that and only focus on the few problems this bike has...
As you stated, some are experiencing problems much worse than others. THAT is why those specific owners are complaining. They don't expect a perfect bike and can tolerate some high performance engine nervousness. However some KS bikes go way beyond that and have a digital on/off throttle response that is borderline dangerous.

I strongly suspect this since my bike changed behaviors all by itself from normal to the digital on/off when closing throttle, and back to normal. In normal mode the fueling is a little fidgety and bucks a little below 2500 rpm, however it's within the acceptable range for almost any rider. When exhibiting the digital on/off behavior, it's irritating, unpleasant and under some conditions dangerous.

The complaining owners are not just more sensitive to the same fueling behavior -- rather their bikes are behaving differently.

To answer your question about what they want, those experiencing problems that "border on dangerous" want the bikes to stop doing that. They can accept some high performance engine nervousness, but the problem bikes go way beyond that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Pirate said:
Hass.. the issue about which some of are complaining is NOT just about the bike not being smooth in traffic.. I could live with that although we shouldn't have to... this is NOT just the typical "quirkiness" that most BMW's always have.. I could live with that although we shouldn't have to... The Throttle Acceleration/Deceleration that me and quite a few others are upset about is a SERIOUS problem... a problem that could possibly get someone injured or worse..

When mine does it all I want to do is park it... it's THAT bad. I haven't lost sight of anything except that this is a $20,000 motorcycle and a competent rider should be able to ride it without looking like he has Cerebal Palsy.

Living with minor "personality flaws" is one thing and common for almost all BMWs... and we all choose to live with this reality. even revel in it. When the bike experiences THIS problem it's not fun, not safe. Again.. this has NOTHING to do with smoothness at low revs.. It's about rolling off the throttle and feeling like someone has turned the key off.. and then rolling it back on and you get full acceleration.. and it doesn't stop. No inbetween.. it's either full off or full on...

Until you experience it.. you shouldn't chastise, my friend.
No, that's why I tried (and failed obviously) to exclude the problems that are dangerous. I understand those issues. But I still feel that some owners go beyond this and expect some kind of heavenly experience where the bike behaves exactly the way THEY expect all of the time. And to make a bike that does that for EVERY owner is of course not possible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts