BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the "low seat" on the GT? The bike I rode at the dealer had the tall windshield and regular seat set to the lowest position. Now I've got a lead on a GT with low seat and short (regular?) windshield. Any thoughts about how much difference I might notice in the two setups?

·
Registered
11 Posts
low seat

I ride with the low seat and notice a big difference. The original seat that came with my GT was the stock comfort seat. I traded some one out there in k bike forum world and notice about a little more then an inch difference. Though the seat is not as comfortable, safety is number one.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have the low seat on my 06 GT. It suits me fine. The normal seat is too high for me to comfortable flat foot the bike. I can, but I don't like the chances of slipping on gravel. (I live in the bush).
I have my standard seat off being modified to make low, as the low seat they shipped wasn't heated, and BMW wouldn't exchange without me paying an extra $350 AU (not happy BMW AUSTRALIA!!!)
Best wishes mate.

Ken
I'm 5'7 (172cm)

·
Registered
108 Posts
DavidRT said:
Anyone have experience with the "low seat" on the GT? The bike I rode at the dealer had the tall windshield and regular seat set to the lowest position. Now I've got a lead on a GT with low seat and short (regular?) windshield. Any thoughts about how much difference I might notice in the two setups?
I'm 5' 6 1/2", and I have the low seat and standard screen. It all works well for me. 500 mile days are no problem and the screen is fine. I might try a slightly taller screen to give my wife a bit more still air on the motorways.

Brian

·
Registered
838 Posts
My '06 was ordered and delivered with a stock "low" seat. Have tried the standard seat and found it very uncomfortable. The low seat has a completely different cut/profile and different padding. I manage 800 mile days no problem.

I'm 5'6" and find the stock (vs. high) screen and low seat perfect. YMMV

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
larrykay said:
Which GT are you talking about ? As far as i know, none of the new GT's came in with a stock lower seat. They have to be ordered...
Sales Manager at my dealer says he has two '07 GTs en route for the showroom floor with low seats. I don't know if the dealers specify the setup on the bikes they order ... or just take what they get from BMW. Probably some of each.

·
Registered
68 Posts
retroboy said:
The low steat is a no charge option. All i need now is my bike.

Retroboy

any word from your dealer today?
i hope that my bike will be AT THE DEALER AT 9AM tomorrow morning
your's OUGHT to be, too

·
133 Posts
The dealership is closed on Monday,

I am going to call first thing in the morning. I am hoping the stars aligned and i have some good news.

Maybe, I need you to call them and give a little nudge. Better yet, We will get Jeff to call Bmw of North America. Ha Ha Ha

Retrooby

·
Registered
838 Posts
Retroboy, you've waited a long time and been very patient.

You will be greatly rewarded. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
My '06 was ordered and delivered with a stock "low" seat. Have tried the standard seat and found it very uncomfortable. The low seat has a completely different cut/profile and different padding. I manage 800 mile days no problem.

I'm 5'6" and find the stock (vs. high) screen and low seat perfect. YMMV
You mention that the low seat has a different cut/profile...

how exactly is is different? Do you have the ability to compare the two to provide more info?

My GT is coming in with the regular seat. I've ridden the '06 that was recently traded at the dealer and am now thinking about the low seat for a little more comfort to flat foot. I'm 5'7" and can just about flat foot, but kind of reaching around the pegs.

I've also noticed a slide to the front a little bit - is the low seat contoured differently??

·
Registered
838 Posts
mjkuhno said:
You mention that the low seat has a different cut/profile...

how exactly is is different? Do you have the ability to compare the two to provide more info?

My GT is coming in with the regular seat. I've ridden the '06 that was recently traded at the dealer and am now thinking about the low seat for a little more comfort to flat foot. I'm 5'7" and can just about flat foot, but kind of reaching around the pegs.

I've also noticed a slide to the front a little bit - is the low seat contoured differently??
Mike, the tendency to slide forward is a problem with the regular seat and having riden one a few hundred km, I found it unacceptable in that regard. The low seat does not do this at all in my experience. The regular seat feels like sitting on a plank. The low seat does not feel that way at all.

With a 30" inseam, the low seat in the low position, I can flat foot.

There seems to be some sort of "gel" material in the low seat that makes it more comfortable as well. The reason I know all this, is the dealer broke the heat plug on the underside of my as-delivered low seat during the PDI. The first replacement seat, was incorrectly sent as a regular seat, so I got to ride one for quite a bit. When the correct low seat arrived we did a side by side comparison and there is quite a visible difference in the profiles.

I find the stock low seat perfectly acceptable and have no plans on replacing it. I am a long-distance rider and member of the IBA.

·
Registered
135 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
Mike, the tendency to slide forward is a problem with the regular seat and having riden one a few hundred km, I found it unacceptable in that regard. The low seat does not do this at all in my experience. The regular seat feels like sitting on a plank. The low seat does not feel that way at all.

With a 30" inseam, the low seat in the low position, I can flat foot.

There seems to be some sort of "gel" material in the low seat that makes it more comfortable as well. The reason I know all this, is the dealer broke the heat plug on the underside of my as-delivered low seat during the PDI. The first replacement seat, was incorrectly sent as a regular seat, so I got to ride one for quite a bit. When the correct low seat arrived we did a side by side comparison and there is quite a visible difference in the profiles.

I find the stock low seat perfectly acceptable and have no plans on replacing it. I am a long-distance rider and member of the IBA.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback - good info.

I also have 30" inseam and while I could <sort of> flat foot it on a GT w/ the regular seat in the low position I think I might speak to my dealer about the low option....either that or see if someone wants to trade on this board or the like.

So from your experience, does the short seat seem softer than the regular seat. You mention gel in the short - do you believe after riding on the regular that this doesn't exist in the standard seat??

·
Registered
838 Posts
mjkuhno said:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback - good info.

I also have 30" inseam and while I could <sort of> flat foot it on a GT w/ the regular seat in the low position I think I might speak to my dealer about the low option....either that or see if someone wants to trade on this board or the like.

So from your experience, does the short seat seem softer than the regular seat. You mention gel in the short - do you believe after riding on the regular that this doesn't exist in the standard seat??
Mike, it's a combination of materials and shape that makes it more comfortable. The material in the low seat seems to be different. I no longer have the regular seat on hand to make the comparison directly again, but my butt reminds me everyday that the low seat is much more comfortable.

Somewhere here it was suggested by someone, some time ago that everyone should just order the low seat option at the get go. Skip the regular seat, period.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts