BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I bought my 2007 K1200GT one year and one week ago (15,240 miles ago). I absolutely love it. But, it's been doing something I consider to be pretty odd. Before I go on, I should say that I'm not the most mechanical guy. Mechanics were created for guys like me.

Here's my issue... At slower speeds (under 40), I notice that when I make right turns, there is a "wobble" in the handle bars. It isn't there when I make left turns. At first I thought it was the tire, but that was changed around 4,000 miles ago. I have the Avon Storms on the front and the back and I keep 42 PSI in both.

While at the shop where I had the tires put on, the mechanic looked over my bike and told me that he thinks the lower bushing is causing the problem. He said that I should take it back to the dealer and let them look it over. He said that he believe there was a recall for just this issue.

The reason I'm posting here is to find out exactly what the lower bushing is and what it does. Can you folks enlighten me?

Thanks.

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
My guess is he means the lower ball joint.

It locates the fork to the frame through the A-arms.

Expensive little boogers- $200 for the bottom.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I can't say 100% for sure, however I do not remember there being a recall for any issue like you describe on the front end. Rear drive problems, yes, but not the front end. There are a few things that could be described generically as "bushings". I would have a good close look at it if my bike were doing what you describe. Better than that, get it into your dealer and let them take a look at it. A wobble in the front end is nothing to take lightly.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I couldn't tell for sure if you meant that it was wobbling before the tire change, but it is pretty well known that some of the Storms cause front end wobble. If it is the tire, Avon will replace under warranty, as they know about it, but don't seem to want to fix it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts