BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 K1200GT. I am told that there is a seat for my bike that is lower, and it is the stock seat for the K1200RS, is that correct? Can someone tell me just how much lower that the RS seat is than my GT seat? Thanks!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I have an RS.

I assume you have checked your seat is already in the low position?

There's a conundrum with these seats and nothing is simple. The stock RS seat is as hard as nails and you feel every road hole up your spine, that's probably what you expect from a sport bike setup, but not a tourer. The GT comfort seat adds some more foam, making it about 3/4-1" higher.

If you remove your seat you can see the metal frame limits how low it can go, so what you are looking for is less foam depth on the seat pan and more comfort, which seems impossible.

I solved the problem by having my stock RS seat rebuilt with 2 gel pads set in the foam front and rear. OK the seat isn't a Russell Day Long for comfort, but it still looks like the oem and I don't get bad vibes through my spine anymore.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tips on the seat. I do like the comfort of my seat, but I am shrinking in my old age, and at 5ft 6inches, I am struggling to flatfoot at stops. I may just take my seat apart, shave a little of the foam off, (only in the front where I sit), then use your suggestion of adding those thin gel pads to take up the spinal slack. All in all, it seems the best thing to do under the limited circumstances. Thanks again for your tips on the seat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Ivory,
There is a factory BMW low comfort seat with heat available for the 04 GT. I know this because I have it. It is in fact approximately 1 inch lower than the original seat and the leather is a bit more pliable than the vinyl RS seat. It's still not the most comfortable thing in the world but it was cheaper than a sargent and probably as comfortable ( I tried one of those as well). If I remember correctly it cost around $300 back in late '03 when I picked up my bike. I have an RS seat as well in brand new condition I'd sell if your interested I got with my bike while waiting for the lower seat to come in. The only draw back is that it doesn't have heat, but you can always switch back when it gets cool out again. Here in NY it's 103 degrees today and heated seats are not an issue!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Er, IMHO, the RS seat isn't all that hard. Now it just so happens that I'm somewhat on the skinny side (6'1" and about 180-185#), with not a lot of natural padding on my butt. Nonetheless, I can't say that my RS' saddle is hard, even after a multi-hundred mile ride. But then, my last bike had a Corbin saddle, which some folks call really, really hard. Maybe the RS saddle only seems softer. ;)

My only real gripe with the RS saddle is, even in high position, it still tends to be a little lower in the front than in the back. As a result, "the boys" tend to push into the front of the saddle, where it meets the tank cover. Not Good. This is worse in the low position, unfortunately. I may go in search of a Corbin saddle, if I can be sure "the boys" won't be stuffed into the tank with the Corbin saddle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone

Thank you everyone who has replied to my initial post about the lower seat for the 04 GT. I have since, with a friend who is a pro, taken the seat apart and we shaved a bit off the foam to make it just right for me. I am very happy with the functionality, and the actual aesthetics, after we were done putting the cover back on. Thanks again!

Ivory Bridge

1 - 6 of 6 Posts