BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried this kit? i have one,seems to provide a minor improvent in reach. i hope to realize a flatter grip. presently using 30 mm verholins.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
That's interesting because when I first got my RS I wondered about trying to get a more upright 'cruiser' position and found that BMW do a complete top yolk for the 'police spec' models (probably lots of $$s). The advantage I saw, was that there's a lot more choice in bar styles.

However, and they do mention this on the site, you have to watch for clearance around the front fairing and screen as some bar styles may be quite radically different. Also the clutch line is a pain using a very small banjo at the slave and I haven't found anybody yet that can re-make the line in different lengths.

What's nice about these is you don't have to strip off the top yolk, they just replace the existing risers. So if you don't like your high 'Ape' bars you can easily put the oems back. But I think controls, wiring and hydraulics are still going to be an issue.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know from putting the standard extensions on a friends '01 K12RS, that there is a narrow tolerance for repositioning the brake and clutch. Anything that moves their location more than about 35mm will likely require new lines.

Regards,

·
Registered
296 Posts
LSL Kit

I have installed the Spiegler kit on one K1200RS (with K1100LT bars!) and drilled my top clamp to accept /6 'bar clamps. I'm using a K1 'bar, which I find very comfortable. The K1 'bar goes on without modification to wiring or hoses.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
ISL Kit

The LT 'bars want to touch the fuel tank cover at full lock, requiring the bars to be tilted up bit more than I'd like them to. The K1 bar forced me to drill the steering stops and install button head screws to clear the tank. A lot ot work, but worth it to me. The windshielld was not a problem on either bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
voxmagna said:
That's interesting because when I first got my RS I wondered about trying to get a more upright 'cruiser' position and found that BMW do a complete top yolk for the 'police spec' models (probably lots of $$s). The advantage I saw, was that there's a lot more choice in bar styles.

However, and they do mention this on the site, you have to watch for clearance around the front fairing and screen as some bar styles may be quite radically different. Also the clutch line is a pain using a very small banjo at the slave and I haven't found anybody yet that can re-make the line in different lengths.

What's nice about these is you don't have to strip off the top yolk, they just replace the existing risers. So if you don't like your high 'Ape' bars you can easily put the oems back. But I think controls, wiring and hydraulics are still going to be an issue.

The most likely conflict with most handlebars on a K1200RS will be the mirrors with the screen. Clearance with the OEM BMW authority bars/top triple clamp is marginal at best during low speed full lock manoeuvres.

·
Registered
296 Posts
LSL Kit

Voxmagna, I missed your question about the model year of he bike(s). The bike with LT bars is an '02, the one with K1 bars an '03

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lsl kit 2000 k1200rs

the kit came with longer front brake line , bar clamps nicely machined and powder coated steel bars. the powder coat wasnt cured long enough,tape the bars . if you choose the non heated grips you get nice aluminum bars. opt for aluminum and change to an afermarket heated grip that doesnt have to be routed internally. spent enough yet? total install took less than two hours. be carefull with the master cyl...keep high and tilted.when attaching brake line...leave connection to m.c. loose long enough to displace most of the air in the new line. i left mine overnite,tighted her down and lightly tapped the brake with the m.c. cover off looking for tiny bubbles. secured m.c. cover. viola de brake she work good. my rs now handes like a flat tracker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lsl kit

there is plenty of room...length still left in the clutch line. i may try different bars,found locally cheap. the mirrors will have to be replaced with longer stems. reason... im built like a gorrilla...silverback. pics coming soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts