BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride an 03 LT and have been reading many of the raves concerning the new GT. So, I took a 06 GT for a test ride and it was love at first acceleration. I've read some threads comparing the two bikes, weight, acceleration, quick in the twisties... but not much on long distance stuff. Will I regret getting rid of the LT if I do 1 or 2 cross-country trips per year? Any experience with both on 12-14 hour days?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I currently own both the LT and '06 GT. So far, I have put 8000 miles on my GT in 8 weeks...and two of those weeks the bike sat still (family vacation). IMO, after I get the seat changed this winter, I will be able to ride the GT as far as I could ride the LT...no problem. But this is really a subjective question. And you are the only one that can answer it for you.

·
Let's Ride
218 Posts
I traded an 02 RT and was worried about the long distant stuff. All I can tell you is I find myself more comfortable on the GT than the RT for the all day rides, and that is with the stock seat on the GT. Recently I rode 1200 miles in one day, than rode 500+ miles a day for the next five days in the twistties. You will love this bike. I am still learning this bike, but every day is more fun than the last.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
I haven't ridden my LT since May 17th, when I took delivery of my K1200GT.

11,000 miles later, I haven't had a single regret. Most of those 11,000 miles have been consecutive 500+ mile days, including two 800+ mile days.

Sure, the seat sucks (easily fixable by getting a custom seat -- it's tough to sit on the lowest common denominator for human ass shapes), and the windshield sucks (lots of dirty air buffeting -- easily fixed by getting a Cee Baileys screen).

·
Registered
236 Posts
No regrets here. I've done 14 hour trip on GT. Only miss LT when 2 up. In IMHO, all the advantages of the GT clearly out way the LT. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts