BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 K12RS that went down under the previous owner and broke the glass part of the headlight. I looked for a used unit without success but found a LT headlight that had broken tabs on it. I took the glass part out of the LT one and put it into the RS housing where it fit perfectly but now it won't go into the fairing!! Can anyone tell me why that might be? It looks exactly like the one that was broken as to size and general shape. Thanks in advance for any insight to this.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This is the first I have heard of someone being able to separate the glass from the housing. How did you manage that?

Not sure why it would not fit. Where is the fitting issue? Left /right or up/down?

·
Registered
290 Posts
raffyk said:
This is the first I have heard of someone being able to separate the glass from the housing. How did you manage that?

Not sure why it would not fit. Where is the fitting issue? Left /right or up/down?
Done it several times on my old K100RT. The glass simply snaps on to the reflector with some big metal clips. A soft rubber O-ring makes the seal.

Bob.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just a guess…

Larry5469 said:
Can anyone tell me why that might be? It looks exactly like the one that was broken as to size and general shape. Thanks in advance for any insight to this.
Could it be that when you installed the clips one (or more) were off the "original" location and now headlight assembly won't fit ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an RS headlight in my LT and the glass is a different shape. It is about 1/2 inch shorter and sticks out of the fairing about 1 inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: how I did it

I simply took the time to very carefully cut away the sealant that the factory used on the housing to glass seam. It took me a couple of hours to cut them both out (original was broken but mostly still there) and the LT glass fit perfectly into the RS housing piece. The LT housing had ears broken off whereas the RS was in good condition there. I resealed the assembly with automobile windshield sealant for a dry and secure seal. The glass interferes at the opening in the fairing which prevents the light assembly from seating all the way against the brackets. <shrug> Thanks to everyone for their input. I still have no idea why it won't fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts