BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have owned my1987 K-100LT for over five years and I use it every day ( winter included ) to commute about 6000 per year. The bike now has 57K and I understand from the previous owner that he lubed the clutch few months before he sold the bike. Since then I lubed the rear spline twice but never the clutch.

The gears shift fine at any speed but my dealer tells me that if I don't lube the clutch it will worn out and eventually I will need to replace it. I checked with two dealers: one charges me $350 and the other one about $200. The first one says it takes five hours and the second one says it takes three hours.

Can anyone let me know whether I'm really at risk if I don't have the clutch lubed anytime soon?

Thank you in advance for any comment and suggestion.

Pio

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Best answer is one of the BMW mantra's "The bike will last forever, but the mainenance is expensive".
It's one of the listed maintenance steps, so I'd have it done. There's the initial way of removing the driveline from the transmission back, but I don't think you have to remove the transmission completely. Some will get really long bolts, slide the driveline back and use a long Q-tip dipped in the lubricant, rotate the shaft as needed, then move the transmission back in place. Not sure if the tranny input shaft needs to be completely out of the clutch or not, though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'm sure that it's about due. It is about a 8 hour job to do yourself. Go to www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml and scroll down to drivetrain for info. Use only Honda moly60 paste for lubricant.
Bruce C

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.