BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My name is Christian and I've been the owner of a smashing 2007 K1200R Sport with 16k miles for over three years. Unfortunately I became ill in 2020, was unable to ride it and the bike has been SORNed/garaged ever since. I never really got the chance to enjoy it.

I had the 'big' £700 service done just before it went inside.

I'm now on the mend and am looking to get it out and get back on it in the new year!

I have been researching luggage/panniers on this bike (I have a really cheap tail bag) but I'm struggling to find a straight answer about value for money panniers and frames. I'd normally say money is no object but the prices of new BMW panniers are absolutely eye watering.

Can anyone give me some ideas and tell me what you have on your bikes please? Id prefer to ditch the tail bag altogether, really. Thanks so much
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
201 Posts
Kickmuck …the bmw panniers that came with my bike are amazing they extend out to double the size ..I can even lock away my full face helmet .. then I have an 80 litre water proof bag I can carry a ton with the setup and the panniers make shopping whatever a breeze !
like you said they are expensive …I have seen sets for around 300 …but you do need to install a few parts for them to fit on the bike ..a frame thing and pillion handles that have a pin they attach to..I think they look great though …

just spotted this much cheaper idea …. 2x Motorcycle Side Pouch Oxford Carbon Fiber Saddlebags Travel Bags Waterproof | eBay

a couple pics …of the panniers ..one with them closed ..one with them full open for double the space …and the frame thing and pillion handles with the attachment pin you need to put them on ..

they are also so easy to put on and take off with the push of a button …

here’s the inexpensive 80 litre waterproof deflatable bag which has built in straps for attaching it to the bike …I went away with a weeks worth of clothes and gear and rain gear with this setup and it all fit perfectly with space to spare

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
311 Posts
Kickmuck …the bmw panniers that came with my bike are amazing they extend out to double the size ..I can even lock away my full face helmet .. then I have an 80 litre water proof bag I can carry a ton with the setup and the panniers make shopping whatever a breeze !
like you said they are expensive …I have seen sets for around 300 …but you do need to install a few parts for them to fit on the bike ..a frame thing and pillion handles that have a pin they attach to..I think they look great though …

just spotted this much cheaper idea …. 2x Motorcycle Side Pouch Oxford Carbon Fiber Saddlebags Travel Bags Waterproof | eBay

a couple pics …of the panniers ..one with them closed ..one with them full open for double the space …and the frame thing and pillion handles with the attachment pin you need to put them on ..

they are also so easy to put on and take off with the push of a button …

here’s the inexpensive 80 litre waterproof deflatable bag which has built in straps for attaching it to the bike …I went away with a weeks worth of clothes and gear and rain gear with this setup and it all fit perfectly with space to spare

View attachment 32565
View attachment 32563
View attachment 32564
Handy Roo collector, 3 bikes wide....:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Captain : haha yeah never thought of that …..how surprised were the people that warned you when they realised that was just their extended position and actually closed?
Yeah probably has happened with me ..look at this guy riding around with his panniers open lol
didnt realise quite how wide it makes the bike until I looked at the picture above ..definately no filtering with them open haha
they are such great panniers but like the op stated …unless you are lucky and find them used for sale like I did once for 300 for a set …I just looked up the price ..the bracket bits came to 1 k and the panniers were like 540 each if bought new ..that’s pretty intense like he said, I didn’t realise they were that pricey because of finding that set way back when..
I couldn’t imagine using my bike without em ! 1 I think they make the bike look better and 2 it’s a much more useful machine with them ! Turns your bike into almost a car item transport wise…

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys and girls, I've seen these on ebay with mounts included? I'm tempted to give these a try

·
Registered
K1200RS
57 Posts
Makes splitting lanes in Sydney interesting, doesn’t it? I get nervous trying to split lanes with the hard cases on my K1200RS.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Kickmuck …any chance you are in Australia ? I just took a quick look around the web for you and found a set of the oem paniers that look brand new /unused with mounting hardware for 500 AUD …seems like a hell of a deal ….here’s hoping you are in oz !
heck if you don’t buy them I may to have a spare given what I saw the price is for it all in the shops!

You can view the ad at BMW K1200 Panniers

but yeah the ones you posted also look pretty nice and like a good deal !

mike in the meadow ….yeah took me a bit to get used to it hahha ..I think more than the paniers and width of the bike it was having my throttle control perfect so I could smoothly cruise up to 30 kmph in first gear when filtering …too damned slow for second really …so feathered first gear is how I filter and it took me a bit to have everything just right to be confident so I don’t knock a mirror off hahha but now I wiz through :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Kickmuck ..damn just saw the flag under your name …you are in uk right? …however 550 aud is only like 300 gbp …heck May be worth still getting and having it shipped to you …even if shipping was say 200 aud still ends up a good deal for the oem paniers.

·
Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
235 Posts
There is a speed restriction with panniers installed. I have proven it to be overly restrictive on several occasions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wpv : could you please Elaborate on the speed restriction ?
.do you mean with them in the extended position ? Or does it apply in general to having the paniers on ?
extended it is unwieldy and I wouldn’t go much over the 110 limit in that mode as there’s a lot of drag but closed I have not noticed it being a hinderance …I’m sure aerodynamically there is a difference though …

1 - 19 of 19 Posts