BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the rack offered by twistedthrottle.com, has anyone seen a tail or luggage rack for the K1200S?

mac

·
Maestro de Turismo
406 Posts
Some people have gone on to put the K1200R rack on the S.

The rack bolt on points line up exactly with those that are there for the handrails of the S, but it takes cutting a bit of the plastic covers on the back of the bike since the holes where the rails come through don't line up with those of the R rack and hand rails.

There used to be some pictures on this forum of a bike done that way, but I couldn't find them so here's a link to another forum with the pictures.

http://bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1100&highlight=k1200r+luggage+rack

I suspect that you would have to be very talented in the plastic cutting skills area in order to ensure that it looks clean.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, HDF. At the moment, though, I'm not prepared to do any cutting on any of the body work. I like this motorcycle too much!

mac

·
Registered
55 Posts
As soon as my 06' S arrives (this month I hope) I intend to install the SW-Motech rack. When the wife wants to go for an all day ride I will then put the Krauser K-4 top case with back rest pad on that. The rack does not seem to be too obtrusive since it is black. But the Krauser adapter that bolts onto the rack is painted silver. Guess I will have to wait and see what this set up looks like since I have not seen any photos of an S with this configuration.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Run a Ventura rack on the KR, can have a small flat rack or the higher one that you can throw the soft luggage on.. and it allows me to still use the BMW panniers.

Bry

·
Registered
288 Posts
Got my K13s luggage rack for the K12s today :teeth

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mines on now.
Mount hand rails, then put tail light/ brake light on, then upper luggage rack. FYI
I first did the rails then the rack - then tried to get the brake light through under the rack :boom: NFG
rails,brake light,rack

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a design coming on the scene. I will look into becoming a vendor on the site to post them for sale. Pictures will follow in a week or two.

·
Registered
39 Posts
tonysrep said:
I have a design coming on the scene. I will look into becoming a vendor on the site to post them for sale. Pictures will follow in a week or two.
<--Interested

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ordered the BMW rack for my '07, but I can't get the old handles off because the four bolts at the back of the handles won't back out of the rear frame. Is there a trick to getting them out? I can't see anything on any of the parts diagrams indicating that there are nuts inside the frame. Looks like the frame is threaded for the bolts.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Remove seat,tail light, remove torx/ allen screws with tool = switch out handles - torque
6 -M6 screws to 8Nm to frame(rear 4 screws across the back/ 2 front grab rail),Tourque 2-M5 screws / Tab screws to 2.5 Nm. AT THIS POINT - RE INSTALL TAIL LIGHT - then mount upper luggage plate with M6 screws - longer in front, smaller in back to 8Nm.
I did not put in plugs over screws.Then mount smoked final shield & screw in last 2 screws. :clap:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cambridge K said:
Remove seat,tail light, remove torx/ allen screws with tool = switch out handles - torque
6 -M6 screws to 8Nm to frame(rear 4 screws across the back/ 2 front grab rail),Tourque 2-M5 screws / Tab screws to 2.5 Nm. AT THIS POINT - RE INSTALL TAIL LIGHT - then mount upper luggage plate with M6 screws - longer in front, smaller in back to 8Nm.
I did not put in plugs over screws.Then mount smoked final shield & screw in last 2 screws. :clap:
I understand that part. Where I'm stuck is that I loosened the four bolts at the back of the handles and while they spin, they don't back out. Is there something else going on like a retainer inside the frame rail?

·
Registered
288 Posts
They should not spin.
You might have to drill out the screws & go up a size - ALL 4 spin :confused: - somethings a miss. You might have to see your dealer or someone to get removed.
I forget - they screw into the tail frame or not.
My bike had all it's screws replaced with stainless bolt kit.
Good luck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Talked to the dealer and found out there are plastic nuts holding up progress. Why BMW didn't thread the subframe is beyond me. Anyway, the existing bolts will be drilled out and replaced under warranty. I'll have the rack installed then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts