BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All
After 20+ years with airheads - my last one being a beatifull R100RS, I felt is was time to experiment so I bought myself a K75 with single round headlight sprint fairing fitted. Painted a horrible shade of pale green so I stripped it down and resprayed in Bermuda Blue ( cos that's the paint I had left over from the R100RS).
I missed the raw power of the R100RS so I picked up a 16V K100RS with a snapped exhaust camshaft thinking this would be an easy repair - big mistake!!!. In the UK all K100 cylinder heads are bought by the mini car guys who are going through a phase of fitting to their existing engines and getting 120+ horses out of a 3 bearing crankshaft 60 year old engine design - lots of webb sites on this subject if anyone is interested. Bottom line is I eventually found a replacement camshaft on E-Bay Germany, rebuilt the engine, powder coated the frame and resprayed in the original Yuca Green pearlescent. - Looks gorgeous - goes very nicely thank you very much - but now the quandary.
Do I keep both bikes - or do I sell the K75.
the K75 is great on the shorter rider only trips, the K100 excels at the 2 up long distance rides. - I think I will take my time ( years) before I take this difficult decision.

If I can work out how to add photo's I'll post them

Hoping to contribute more in the future - best regards from the UK

Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Heyas Alan, from one noob to another, welcome :)

How do you like the Sprint fairing? I have one sitting in a box that will be going on my 75 this winter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
The sprint is not as good as the K100RS fairing but much better than the R100RS. I am 5'10" and no head buffeting but there is no hand protection so you get the wind and rain onto your fingers. Leaving the mirrors on the handlebars gives you far better rear vision than the fairing mounted mirrors, but the 16V K100RS has the mirror extension pieces as standard so better then most

brg

Alan

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome

Keep all three...

See which one becomes the hanger queen and cull from there.

All three of them are pretty sweet rides.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Chaos,
my wife had a "thumper ( GS650 ) which I rode a few times - usually when it needed gas.
I gave up chain mainternance years ago so I will stick to shaft drive

Alan

·
Registered
42 Posts
alanatrr said:
Hi
The sprint is not as good as the K100RS fairing but much better than the R100RS. I am 5'10" and no head buffeting but there is no hand protection so you get the wind and rain onto your fingers. Leaving the mirrors on the handlebars gives you far better rear vision than the fairing mounted mirrors, but the 16V K100RS has the mirror extension pieces as standard so better then most

brg

Alan
Aye, I went with the Sprint fairing that has the mirrors (K100rs type) mounted on the side of the fairing. Unboxed yesterday:

·
Registered
153 Posts
what's missing

chaos said:
You need to pick up a thumper so you can have a single, twin, triple and a 4-banger. :teeth
Hot Dog! Never thought of it that way! I have a single KLR, twin R12CLC, and triple K75.

Now, what would I want a four for? Or maybe get a zero, like a Brammo. 0, 1, 2, 3. As a programmer, counting from aught appeals to me anyway, as an array of bikes.

Watch out craigslist, here I come.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Inline3
Is that a new manufactured Sprint fairing - or a very well done refurbish ? - will you be fitting the side lower pieces?

Mine has the chrome plastic infill in the screen mounting rubber - a bit of bling to brighten up the appearance.

Please post a picture when fitted becasue I would like to see how the fairing mounted mirrors work out

brg

Alan

·
Registered
42 Posts
alanatrr said:
Hi Inline3
Is that a new manufactured Sprint fairing - or a very well done refurbish ? - will you be fitting the side lower pieces?

Mine has the chrome plastic infill in the screen mounting rubber - a bit of bling to brighten up the appearance.

Please post a picture when fitted becasue I would like to see how the fairing mounted mirrors work out

brg

Alan
Alan, it's newly manufactured from Trev @ Sprint. Am not sure what you mean by the side lower pieces. Will post-up images when finished. I did not purchase the headlights, opted out in favor of alternative HID lights (havent sourced yet).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
re- it's newly manufactured from Trev @ Sprint. Am not sure what you mean by the side lower pieces

I am refering to the lower pieces that bolt to the upper serction of the Sprint as shown on the below photo, also includes the radiator suround that is shown on my original post

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
lukeman said:
Projectors and HID 55w would be badass in that thing...
Aye man, am thinking the same thing! The housing allows for two 5.75 inch diameter headlights that can go up to 3.5 inches deep. Am open to suggestions!

Apologies for the off-topic msg, Alan.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This website seems to be pretty good. Nice selection and the price isn't too bad. You could always use it to research sizes and specs then buy some off ebay. I put some hella e55 projectors on my e34 525 that I got from ebay and they work great with the ddm 55w kit I got. Its like daylight, i'd love to get them on my bike.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=25

Yeah I like that site alot, I spent a while trying to figure out a way I could get dual projectors in my naked k100 fairing... Still thinking about that. The fairing would make it a lot easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pallum
I got my rubber edge and screen trim from "www.woolies-trim.co.uk"

They have an excellent on line catalogue

brg

Alan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts