BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much has been said about the high cost of maintenance on BMWs - particularly from owners of other brands. Well, since the intro of the new C14, I've been curious about how much maintenance would run on it. Is BMW truely higher? How much higher?

This was pulled from concours.org:

"Well this isn't a positive topic.
Just had service done rode home all was fine friday. Rode Saturday, all was fine. Rode to work Monday and noticed engine was not clean and looked oily/greasy. Looked closer and see lots of oil all over even on radiator. Not knowing what it looks like without faring and where the oil is coming from, I will be calling dealer in the morning. Hope it is simply the valve cover gasket.
Other than that it has been good service from dealer.
Hey I think this calls for a FULL Detailing Job."

After a few posts inquiring as to the cost, this came back:

"Well I went back Tuesday. There explanation was that the oil I was seeing was the resin. Don't know what they ment by that but they cleaned it up and assured me that all was ok. I hope so. Riding down 5 hours to Miami to ride to Keywest with COG group. Maybe when I get back I will experiment with taking faring off and looking at the engine. (not being a mechanic I hope its easy).
Well I did a maintenance agreement with them. Spent $1400 and get 6 free oil changes and 6 scheduled maintenance. I have had then give me an itemized on past ones and with 4 scheduled maintenances done it has more than payed for itself. This time did kinda scare me (on whether they were doing good work, I don't tend to trust dealers as well) but they clean the visible crud off the bike.
I didn't get itemized this time but may go back to them and get it. They did tell me it was around $1000."

Unfortunately, he doesn't know exactly what they did, so there's no real way knowing if the cost they told is accurate and comparable to anything. But I can tell ya, after just spending under $400 for the 18K service on my '06 GT, I don't think BMW is too far off the mark.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting. I don't think any of these bikes are going to be inexpensive to have maintained by the dealers. BMW has reduced a lot of the required maintenence but it doesn't matter with shop rates approaching $90 per hour!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
the maintenance is basic until the 12000 mile where they check the valves. i did my own scheduled maintenance using the checklist from the manual. they did the 600 since it was a demo and the receipt stated 123 bones, which included an oil change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts