BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well folks, after demoing a 08 GS adventure, and riding 300 miles on my old mans GS, I think I'm going to put the GT up for sale. The upright ride and no fire breathing down my legs may be a nice change. Plus, where I live in South Dakota, a dual sport would triple my riding area. I'm really hoping to get into a brand new adventure with ESA, that was SWEET! no more fiddling with dials and knobs and counting how many clicks of preload. Now my only issue is finding a buyer for my 03 GT.

What are your opinions?

Josh

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Get both. I live in Nevada and have been considering adding a dual-sport to the GT for the same reasons you have: it considerably adds to the number of available roads.

I'm curious about your fire breathing legs statement ... the only time I've ever noticed heat on my '03 GT is if I wear shorts, which I shouldn't be doing anyways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started out on a 04GS. Wife (who rode pillion) loved it but said she thought it was too tall for her taste. She fell in love with the GT and lo' we added that to the stable as well. Then I thought I would downsize from the 04 GS, so I sold it. Immediately had regrets and couldn't get my hands on the 800GS I lusted after. After waiting for all these months and being told "we don't know for certain when it'll arrive in the states", I'm back on an 08 GS. I ride the GS solo and it's set up that way. For touring with the wife - it's the GT. Different bikes for different functions. I love having alternatives.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my GT puts out an immense amount of heat on my legs. so much so that it is almost unbearable to ride in the summer. It fills my mesh pants and fries my legs. I can get cool air by moving my legs back and upward, but one can only ride like that for a little while.

Unfortunately I cant afford two bikes...

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
sportfaller said:
my GT puts out an immense amount of heat on my legs. so much so that it is almost unbearable to ride in the summer. It fills my mesh pants and fries my legs. I can get cool air by moving my legs back and upward, but one can only ride like that for a little while.

Unfortunately I cant afford two bikes...
I think you're the second or third person who's complained about that. I ride in our South Tejas summers with shorts on under my mesh and I regularly see over 100 degrees. I'm wondering if your foam pieces are still in place behind the bodywork?

I'd love to take your bike apart and look at it. Come on over.

·
Registered
531 Posts
sportfaller said:
Well folks, after demoing a 08 GS adventure, and riding 300 miles on my old mans GS, I think I'm going to put the GT up for sale. The upright ride and no fire breathing down my legs may be a nice change. Plus, where I live in South Dakota, a dual sport would triple my riding area. I'm really hoping to get into a brand new adventure with ESA, that was SWEET! no more fiddling with dials and knobs and counting how many clicks of preload. Now my only issue is finding a buyer for my 03 GT.

What are your opinions?

Josh
be wary of the ESA because of the cost of replacement, 3K for front & rear not including labor. i purchased my 2006 KS with ESA and it was fun to play with it for about a month but with my style of riding i seldom to never change the setting. something to think about and consider when you go to buy your GS

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Did the '03 GT's have the same foam design as the 06's?

I'm one who's complained about heat but I don't think that older models were flowing air the same way. I can say though that my foam is in place and in high temps my right leg gets fried from about mid calf down. Mesh pants and shorts, good boots. A lot O'fricken heat!

BTW, next bike will be a 1200 GS Adv. But I'm keeping the GT! :teeth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts