BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'll keep an ear out for everyone, but it appears that BMW of the Tristate (Cincinnati) is going to close its doors shortly (like as in 01/01/06).....

I have a few confirmations from the local riders group, so it's got some credibility....

At this point, I haven't spoken with anyone at the dealership, but as they have my GT in for service - be assured I will be contacting someone there ASAP.....

alow

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thats bad news.

Well maybe someone will pick up the slack in the area. Rode BMW for many years with no local dealer and no internet to help. Guess I can do it again. I may be to old to learn how to work on this new stuff.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Was told at my dealer in Louisville that the owner was trying to get a deal going to reopen a shop in Indy.Maybe he should have waited for Tristate.I have heard this Tristate rumor before,maybe its just that a rumor.I hope so,really hate hearing of all these dealers closing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bmw Na

Where is the support from BMW NA! - The whole bunch should be fired!! I also understand Rockford BMW will close.

·
Registered
145 Posts
BMWNA Dealer Support

B Haugen Wrote:
<Where is the support from BMW NA! - The whole bunch should be fired!!>

Hi B,

I'm curious as to what you think BMWNA should've or could've done differently?

JS

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jschilberg said:
B Haugen Wrote:
<Where is the support from BMW NA! - The whole bunch should be fired!!>

Hi B,

I'm curious as to what you think BMWNA should've or could've done differently?

JS
There are a ton of hoops that BMW NA requires a dealership to jump through to run a dealership.

I also learned a long time ago (with a F650CS fiasco) that BMW NA doesn't give a crap about the rider or the dealer. Further, the dealer is usually stuck in the middle when problems crop up - and they get little to no support from BMW NA....

That's just my opinion of course but I've dealt with both BMW NA and dealerships over the past several years.

I'm quickly coming to the conclussion that if this dealer does indeed close, I may not be riding the Mighty K much longer......

alow

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ride to Columbus

100 mile ride for service. Oh well hope they are good, bet my wife will be happy picking me up for my next $200.00 oil change ( as we refer to a service ). Went to Tristate earlier today. They say they are done. Seemed well stocked for a dealer that is shutting down? Seems a little fishy, but what do I know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its no rumor, they are closing down

Hey, stopped over at BMW of the Tri-State today. They are selling everything out at dealer cost. Shop is closing its doors on this coming Saturday. People are picking up some great deals. But to be honest, I would have rather paid regular prices and had the dealer stick it out.

Word is that sales have fallen off. They sold half the bikes this year that they did two years ago. Also heard that BMW is being pretty harsh on its dealers. As I was saying to my wife on the drive home, who will buy BMWs if there are no dealers? We lost the one in Indy, I hear St. Louis is gone, now Cincinnati. You would think that BWM is either trying really hard to get ride of their dealers or they are such bad business people that they can't see the long term damage this does to the company's reputation.

If I were BMW I would be working hard to keep every dealer I have up and running. What good will it do BMW to come out with lots of great new motorcycles if there are no dealers to sell them and they have lost all their credibility with the buying public. Looking at the prices of those new R-RT.s and the K-GT I would think BMW would be busting their asses not to lose what customers they already have.

What is wrong with these hard headed folks at BWM?

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
There are several reasons why many of these dealers are going under. Sales are not meeting expectations set by dealer development back 5 years ago. Back when Tom Pluckinsky was running the show, and dealer development was showing a presentation that demonstrated year over year growth of 25-30%, many prospective dealer principals bought into the dream of 30,000 units per year by 2006 (in North America). Several dealer principals left that meeting and drew up plans for these Exclusive BMW Dealer Palaces rather than taking a more conservative approach.

It is obvious that BMW has come nowhere near that 30,000 annual unit number. As a result, you are seeing many of the BMW Showcase dealers kicking the bucket, and other dealers unwilling to commit to 100 units per year requirement and dropping BMW from their lineup. Couple that with BMW NA's new chief, Artero Piniero, and his cost cutting strategy that undermines the existing dealer base, and it's no wonder we see dealers leaving the marquee on a daily basis. At the same time, it's a two way street. BMW, in their effort to create a BMW lifestyle branding, as well as overstating the potential of the North American BMW market, created a situation where some dealer principals got in over their head. At the same time, there are some dealer principals that ALLOWED themselves to get in over their heads by over committing floorplan, apparel, or focused way to much on new bike sales rather than the recurring revenue brought in by Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y S-E-R-V-I-C-E. I personally know two dealers in very serious financial straights, but both dealer's problems can be traced to mistakes they made buying into the whole BMW growth thing without doing the proper financial analysis. In both cases, the adage "more money than brains" is quite appropriate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It sucks anyway

Well, any way you cut it, it still sucks big time huh? I don't think the dealers in the California area are in any danger of closing. I do know that my favorite dealer CALMOTO is and has been selling triumphs also. I heard that BMW wasn't real happy about that but they sell so many BMW that they wouldn't pull the plug on them. They always have every model on the display floor and demo bikes up the wazoo. They also always give me a loaner when I take my bike. One time it was one of the triumph triples, that was fun I'll tell you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another dealer down the drain

I would agree with the theory that BMW over estimated their growth. From what I hear at the local (Closing) dealer was that BMW pushed them to move to a "bigger/better" <more expensive> store. Their old building was a bit smaller but they did decent business out of it. Their new grander store looked really great but the overhead was much more and they did not grow sales as was predicted.

I also agree with those who say they need muliple lines. The Asians learned this many years ago. All the dealers I can think of around here are multi-line except one.

I think its telling when the BMW parts manager, a BMW rider for 22 years, today admitted that last year he sold his BMW's and bought a new Kaw Connie. Said it was half the price of the BMW R-RT, that while it lacked a bit in quality it was a simple bike of proven design that he could actually work on himself. I guess he knows about BMW's EVO brakes and such.

Sad day......but life goes on. I will keep my K12GT for now. We are moving to Louisville in 12 to 18 months and the dealer there is still in business.

Oh, rumor mill here says there is another dealer that might be moving into the Cincinnati Store within a month. Don't know if there is any truth to it but maybe. Seems there should be enough market here as the nearest dealers are about 100 miles away.

I looked real hard at that new R1200 GS on the way out today. Only $16,000, I am liking my new $6k Vstom more all the time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
These are some excellent posts - and do a good job of describing the problems dealers are having. As I said before the whole bunch need to be fired at BMW NA. I can't believe BMW AG will sit back and let the whole US market go down the tubes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I drove 250 miles to buy my K1200R in Albuquerque, New Mexico just before Thanksgiving. As we were finishing paperwork, they mentioned they will not do BMWs after Dec 31, 2005. A BMW dealer in Deming, NM closed up within the last year, too.

It was sort of nice to spend 8 hours on the bike driving back and forth across New Mexico for the first servicing, but I don't really know where I'll go after Jan 1, 2006. I think Tucson, AZ is the next closest from here (two friggin states away).

I'm afraid to open 3 letters from BMW that I received over Christmas, as I'm afraid there is a brake recall in there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again. The most important thing for a BMW dealer to be successful is to have a quality, reliable, and honest service department. I could care less how many BMW jackets and boots the dealer has in the shop. I am a little obsessive about details and I expect mechanic I hire to be also. I do not mind paying for top quality in any product or service. I do not like paying for poor service that is passed off as top quality just because it is done at a BMW dealer. Also they need to have good quality free coffee.

·
Registered
768 Posts
bhaynnes said:
Well, any way you cut it, it still sucks big time huh? I don't think the dealers in the California area are in any danger of closing. I do know that my favorite dealer CALMOTO is and has been selling triumphs also. I heard that BMW wasn't real happy about that but they sell so many BMW that they wouldn't pull the plug on them. They always have every model on the display floor and demo bikes up the wazoo. They also always give me a loaner when I take my bike. One time it was one of the triumph triples, that was fun I'll tell you.
I agree with you, I think that dealers have to be multi bike to make the numbers work in most regions. I have one small dealer I use that is exclusively BMW, personally would like to see more that have Triumph/Aprilia/Moto Guzzi.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
It's too bad Deming decided not to sell BMWs anymore. The Albuquerque dealer is no big loss, as I wouldn't even recommend that dealership to an enemy! BMW of Santa Fe is a great dealer, and it is also rumored that they will be expanding to Albuquerque since the owner of BMW of Santa Fe (cars and motorcycles) also owns the BMW car dealership in Albuquerque.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Funny that they (BMW in Albuquerque) didn't mention a replacement dealer opening up, as I'm pretty sure they would have known about that. They just shrugged their shoulders when I asked where the next closest dealer was. Other than that, I don't have any complaints about them.

I think the entire Deming dealership folded. Several people I know liked them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is a thread on Advrider about the dealership and a new employee that has relocated there.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111636

To quote part of one of the posts,

"I'm the sales manager at the new Sandia BMW Motorcycle dealership and have already met a few of the club members and they seem like a great bunch. If you want to ride this Sunday or Monday call me at the dealership, 884-0066 and we'll go burn it up."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts