BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S is being delivered this Friday and the dealer has told me that it's got Metzeler Sportec M1s on. Anyone have any views on this tyre?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Replacements

Just bought a pair as replacements for my K-R Z6's. No good experiences yet (none bad either). I think (very dangerous that) it will be a good sticky tire with a shorter than preferred life.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The M1 is a pretty sticky tire, but has a very short life. The scariest part is that when you start getting low on tread, they chew out REALLY fast which could leave you stuck somewhere when you left home thinking you had a decent amount of tread left. I used these pretty much exclusively on my former Kawasaki 600, but only one set on the K1200RS. The extra umph of the 1200 really eats them up. I'm running Z6's on mine now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I switched from the M1's at 5800 miles after I had replaced a rear and the front was then gone.

I switched to the Z6's. I'm failrly aggressive in my riding style(live in Georgia) and I have not seen any noticible difference in grip, they'll just last twice as long. :bmw:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I suppose with winter coming up then a softer grippier tyre is probably good news. I'll see how they last before deciding whether to replace them with something else or stick with them. I've always used Bridgestone BT 020s on my ZZR, which have been good tyres both in the wet and the dry and on trackdays.

·
Registered
730 Posts
zzrman,

I also ran the Z6's on my ZZR, after trying other brands, which is why I put them on the BMW.

And since you have a KTM, I know you demand perfection!

·
Registered
236 Posts
You won't be able to replace your M1's with the same because they are being discontinued and replaced by the M3 (don't know anything about it). You can still find the non-B wall M1's but hard to find the B wall. Everyone complains about tire life of the M1 and I'm in that boat too...about 2000 miles per set but they perform great. I've just changed to Pilot Powers and they seem to be wearing better at this point (only about 700 miles) and although I haven't been in much rain with them, performance seems to be about identical. I'm not a Z6 fan but you know what they say about A/O and opinions. But, to me, I want the "extra stick" in a tire for this bike and there IS a difference in that with the other tires that were mentioned. I'd just consider how you ride and if you are aggressive, go with more stick. Easier rider, Z6's etc will be fine.

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
zzrman said:
My S is being delivered this Friday and the dealer has told me that it's got Metzeler Sportec M1s on. Anyone have any views on this tyre?
My K-R is on it's second set of M1's. Riding fairly aggressively, I'm getting 3,000 miles on them. Once they warm up to operating temperatures they offer excellent adhesion.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yikes! I would expect that with "track time" use but not with normal aggressive riding. That is some serious wear. Better buy stock in Metzeler at that rate :)

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
ManfredH said:
:D

Some people reported of about 1,000 mi on M-1. How would you name *their* style of riding? :)

Manfred
Howdy Manfred,

In short, "VERY aggressive". :eek:

I try not to compare my style of riding with that of others, although I frequently fail at it :( . Feedback from the group I ride with (Northern California "Posse") would concur with my description, or term it an understatement ;) .

The riders I've had the pleasure of riding with, primarily from California, Colorado and Texas, should expect 3,000 miles, or more, from the M1.

I suppose it would be possible to run the M1 down to the wear indicators in 1,000 miles, but they would have to be riding VERY aggressively on a constant basis, as opposed to my FAIRLY aggressively on an intermittent basis.

If they're riding on the street as though it were the track, the tire isn't going to last long, although they might end up without a license :mad: .

Riding the autobahn at speeds in excess of 200 kmh for much of 1,600 KM would also have the tire being "kaput", but without being hauled off to the "klink" :cool: .

·
Registered
434 Posts
Loggiebone said:
I would expect that with "track time" use but not with normal aggressive riding
No track riding! The two M-1 I had were down to the markers after 1,500 mi (no track, no autobahn). Seems I'm a MOSTLY agressive rider :D

Manfred
still with license and without any tickets :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
You're my HERO! :)

Seem's like you'd better promote yourself to a new F4 or the like. Wouldn't wear your tires so quickly since they weigh about 100 pounds less!

·
Registered
460 Posts
M1 sale at Cycle Gear

At the Cycle Gear here in Albuquerque a set of M1 Sportec tires are going for about 150 bucks....I don't know if this is nation-wide or not, but other stores are shifting them around as they evaporate....might be a good time to get a couple of sets to put in cold storage....heheh.....I'm dying to change out another set on my No Mar.

·
Registered
290 Posts
BillyOmaha said:
My K-R is on it's second set of M1's. Riding fairly aggressively, I'm getting 3,000 miles on them. Once they warm up to operating temperatures they offer excellent adhesion.
Only 3000 miles life on a tire? What are they made of? Chewing gum? That's absurd! With that kind of ridiculous life, why on earth would you have bought a second set? You're changing tires 2 or 3 times as often as you need to change oil! Good thing you only ride fairly aggressively. If you rode really aggressively you'd have to change tires every time you filled with gas!

Bob.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Be sure that they are "B" walls as specified by BMW for the bike. At that price and availability, I'd bet they are the standard M1.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sport Rider Mag.tire comparo

Don't know if any one has seen this but I was surprised at the ratings

Dunlop Qualifier 91.4
Michelin Pilot Power 89.3
Bridgestone BT-014 89.0
Metzler Sportec M-1 87.3
Pirelli Diablo 86.0
Avon Viper Sport 83.7
Contisport Attack 80.7
Maxxis M6029 79.0
Tomahawk T3 Sport 73.1

Was really surprised at the Dunlops being rated highest

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
1,500 miles & no tickets!

ManfredH said:
No track riding! The two M-1 I had were down to the markers after 1,500 mi (no track, no autobahn). Seems I'm a MOSTLY agressive rider :D

Manfred
still with license and without any tickets :)
Manfred,

You are a very fortunate soul. May your streak continue unabated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
M1's vs ?

I/m on second M1 (bought backup before I knew how short their lives were) and I'm getting 3000 mi+ on rear. HAve 5500 miles now on 2nd rear and haven't needed new front yet. Trying to time them to replace with Pilot Powers but they refuse to coordinate wearout time. Love the tire. Don't want to be obnoxious but Ferarri owners can't really complain about cost of changing motorcycle tires too often, can they?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts