BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Metzler Sporttec M-1's had the "B" code designation for the KS. Does anyone know if the replacement M-3's use the same"B" code?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the "B" spec was for the heavier models and that the KS uses a standard tire, but he could be full of shit too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sportrider said:
I was told by my dealer that the "B" spec was for the heavier models and that the KS uses a standard tire, but he could be full of shit too.
The "B" tire, according to Metzler, as it had rayon cord for stiffer side walls, was the tire specified for the K1200S.

·
Registered
434 Posts
k1200sforme said:
The "B" tire, according to Metzler, as it had rayon cord for stiffer side walls, was the tire specified for the K1200S.
Correct, but most probably you won't get it outside Germany.

Manfred

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ManfredH said:

Manfred
Manfred, gone thru two sets of "B" tires, no problem with availability in US.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ManfredH said:

Manfred
We have the Metzler Sportec M1 fitted standard on the KS in Australia. I am happy with them so far.

·
Registered
236 Posts
B wall again!

ManfredH said:
Tim,

We're talking about the "B" specification of the M1's. No doubt that without "B" they are available :)

Manfred
When I tried to get "B's" a couple of months ago they were gone and no longer available. The standard wall was plentiful and at discounted prices. Whoever thinks that the B's are going to be available is, I'm sure, unaware or confused about the B wall designation. The new B wall will be available in the M3. The B M1 is history.

By-the-way, I'm having slightly better longevity and similar handling in the Pilot Power, and it's a bit less expensive.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Loggiebone said:
When I tried to get "B's" a couple of months ago they were gone and no longer available. The standard wall was plentiful and at discounted prices. Whoever thinks that the B's are going to be available is, I'm sure, unaware or confused about the B wall designation. The new B wall will be available in the M3. The B M1 is history.

By-the-way, I'm having slightly better longevity and similar handling in the Pilot Power, and it's a bit less expensive.
This is what I'm trying to find out, if the M3 also has the "B" and you have provided the answer, now to order up a pair.

·
Registered
236 Posts
B wall again!

k1200sforme said:
This is what I'm trying to find out, if the M3 also has the "B" and you have provided the answer, now to order up a pair.
This info was from my tire source (who is always reliable and informed) but, to be clear, I don't know from personal knowledge. Metzeler has, at least in recent years, always provided a B wall for BMWs so I don't see that there will be any change now.

Just don't want to mislead you or cause any additional confusion!

Doug

·
Registered
395 Posts
just spooned on a Z6 rear with a M1 front and really like it, feels just like the M1 f/r did but hopefull will get 3500-4000 miles out of the Z6 rear.
I went thru 2 M1 rears in 3500 miles

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kencorsun said:
Without running out to the garage to check: Aren't we talking about Metzeler tires?

Ken
My mistake, it's correctly spelled Metzeler, however there are many sites that spell it Metzler.

·
Registered
324 Posts
metzeler does indeed offer the "b" model of the sprotec m-1 in the u.s. (we have them sitting on the shelf) and they are specifically for the k1200s & r. the m-3 is only offered in one model at this point (no designation) so i don't know if it is approved for the k-bikes. if you go to metzeler's site, the only recommended tire for the k-bikes is the sportec m-1 "b" model.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
evoluzione said:
metzeler does indeed offer the "b" model of the sprotec m-1 in the u.s. (we have them sitting on the shelf) and they are specifically for the k1200s & r. the m-3 is only offered in one model at this point (no designation) so i don't know if it is approved for the k-bikes. if you go to metzeler's site, the only recommended tire for the k-bikes is the sportec m-1 "b" model.

hope this helps.
Thanks,Ken. I have gone to their web site and saw that info as well. I have sent them a email asking for info on the M3 and if they will be coded as well. I also called yesterday but it was after hours, funny to hear the person answering the phone say" Hello,Pirelli Tires."

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the answer from Metzeler: Sportec M3 tires have not been tested on your m/c so you must use the b spec m-1. testing should conclude in the next 90 days or so.
Thank you for your interest in our company and products.
Best Regards.

Customer Service
Metzeler MOTO

·
Registered
107 Posts
ManfredH said:
Tim,

We're talking about the "B" specification of the M1's. No doubt that without "B" they are available :)

Manfred
I know this is an "old" thread as I have not checked the forum for a while. Mine OEM tyres are indeed M1 B spec.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not to get off the topic, but I did just order and recieve the Pirelli Strada (120f/190r) hopefully the set will work on the KS...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.