BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a short ride today when my rear Michelin 2ct blew out. Was on a flat road, doing about 70, don't recollect hitting anything. Made a surprisingly uneventful stop. I assumed I had a puncture, but no...

2-3 inch split right across the middle of the tire tread. After seeing the tire I felt damned lucky. I was about 1000 yards from the next high speed sweeper on this particular road. I suspect a blowout in the middle of that would have beeen a lot more entertaining.

Tire had just shy of 5,000 miles on it and plenty of tread, checked the tire pressure the night before the ride.. Anyone else had trouble with these tires?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Glad to hear you stayed upright. I think a lottery ticket would be on my shopping list if I were you.
I dont know about you but I do a full rotational Tyre inspection every time I wash the bike which is pretty much every time I use it. Im not saying that it would have been visible before it happened but I think its a sound practice.
For everyday riders I can see how this would get overlooked.
I would also be curious as to what sort of responce you get from Michelin.
Good luck.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GMack said:
Michelin had a recall on their Power 2CT tire sometime ago. The ones stamped with "Made in France" were suspect batch.
Mack
Checked the recall note.

Mine was made in Spain - was a 190/50 - 17. It was a Road 2 vs. a Power.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dadicool59 said:
I dont know about you but I do a full rotational Tyre inspection every time I wash the bike which is pretty much every time I use it.
Had washed the bike and checked the tires/tire pressure the night before.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I would for sure contact Michelin.. if for no other reason than to get a free tire, but also so that they can inspect and find out if there needs to be a recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts