BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hopefully about to install some pilot road 2's on my K1300GT.How do I know if I have the "B" rated tyres required for the K1300GT?
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looking at the rear tyre from the right hand side of the bike you will see the dimensions, follow the tyre round and the letter B is written twice, once inside a circle, and again contained within other markings.

If there is no B on it, you have the standard version.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I've been looking at the Michelin North America website, the only "B" rated they seem to offer in PR2s is the 180/55 ZR 17. Nothing for the front. :dunno:

Last time I looked a few months ago, there wasn't even any mentions of "B" ratings, and not much either from most online suppliers. :confused:

Looks like we need to figure that one out, lots of us are interested in Bibendum's fine products. :thumb:

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotroad2

·
Registered
164 Posts
Confusion in France and thats the home of Michelin!

I ordered B rear and was told there is a reinforced front with a "D" suffix. When they arrived the rear was a "B", but so was the front! Just to confuse things they have made in Spain marked on them.

Seems Michelin haven't told their dealers whats going on, in fact we were told in Switzerland that the B didn't exist, and doesnt even appear in the catalogue!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"B" Rated ?

OK Thanks Paul and the other reply from BC.Looks like the Australian Michelin group knows nothing either !I am going to visit our local dealer in Melbourne this morning and check out his tyres.The reports on the PR2's are very good and hoping I can get the correct tyres !
with thanks Andrew

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Maudits Francais.....! :teeth

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ichelin PR2 "B"

No Luck in Melbourne,the service Girl was busy and the only second hand K1200GT that had Michelin PR2's had NO sign of the "B" marking?
Does it really make much of a difference I wonder ?
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
164 Posts
The B version is a little heavier due to the carcass construction, and took 60g front and 50g rear to balance them, which is quite a lot!

I can tell you that I got 11,000kms out of a standard PR2, which is the most I've ever had out of a rear tyre, and couldn't tell the difference between standard and the B when I changed them on my K200GT!

I would say the standard are more than adequate,although the front did wear out earlier at 7000kms. The issue is perhaps if you have an accident, and the assessors decide that the fact you didn't fit the manufacturers recommended tyre may have been partially to blame, but you'd have to be really unlucky for that to happen!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pilot Road 2's

OK Have the tyres fitted,do not think I have the B rated tyres?Am off on our local clubs Great ocean road ride this weekend so will have a good chance to try them out !
cheers Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
asquires said:
OK Have the tyres fitted,do not think I have the B rated tyres?Am off on our local clubs Great ocean road ride this weekend so will have a good chance to try them out !
cheers Andrew
You are not the only one. Others have reported riding with non-B PR2s and no issues.

I have a K1200GT fitted with PR2s. They were on sale last December locally for US$ 230 for the front and rear pair, which is a fantastic bargain. I only wish that I had bought two or three sets at that price. Frankly, I don't know if they are Bs or not, but suspect not. I rode them cross country and back (6600 miles), fully loaded, no pillion, and they still look like new. No problems or issues whatsoever, but YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts