BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have noticed that my fuel mileage drops a couple of mpg when the temps get down to 40 degrees or less. Where I usually am hitting 38 to 40mpg, when really cold, my bike will dip down around 36-37mpg. Today I was reminded of this tendency as the temps here in the Baltimore area and to the north during my ride were in the upper 30s. Wondering if anyone else has noticed the same drop in mpg?

Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
All my bikes with closed loop fuel injection have that trait. Cooler air is more dense and requires more fuel.

Some states also use blended fuels in the winter for reduced emmissions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the blended fuel is the thing that drops your mileage. My Cadillac would choke on the stuff and the mileage would drop big-time.

Surprisingly my bike's mileage went up recently... I put on a Dunlop 'Harley' rear tire 160/70 (larger diameter than the 170/60) and my mileage went up a couple mpg - I'll have it worn out by December 1st and be switching to a tire almost exactly the same outer dia as factory spec, so I'll be able to say if the tire diameter is the reason - or if it is something else.... which reminds me that I need to use a thinner oil at my next oil change.

·
Registered
227 Posts
jaimeshawn said:
I think the blended fuel is the thing that drops your mileage. My Cadillac would choke on the stuff and the mileage would drop big-time.

Surprisingly my bike's mileage went up recently... I put on a Dunlop 'Harley' rear tire 160/70 (larger diameter than the 170/60) and my mileage went up a couple mpg - I'll have it worn out by December 1st and be switching to a tire almost exactly the same outer dia as factory spec, so I'll be able to say if the tire diameter is the reason - or if it is something else.... which reminds me that I need to use a thinner oil at my next oil change.
Effectively you changed the "gear" ratio and slowed down the engine for a given road speed. Do a credibility check on a % basis to see if the diameter change can explain the mileage increase.

Ron

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Not only is it the cold air and fuel combustion, but also it's aerodynamics and the density of air when cold if you are riding fast - like moving through treacle. If you want to speed test a bike you do it in hot weather. Interesting you should notice the drop in mpg which is to be expected. Also on cold starts the ECU will keep the mixture richer for longer (the O2 sensor will be off), until the temp sensor says the motor is warmed up. So short stop starts in cold weather will make lots of difference to overall mpg. since most of us probably lay up our bikes or ride less in winter, it probably doesn't lower the annual mpg that much.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
330 Posts
jpel said:
For years I have noticed that my fuel mileage drops a couple of mpg when the temps get down to 40 degrees or less. Where I usually am hitting 38 to 40mpg, when really cold, my bike will dip down around 36-37mpg. Today I was reminded of this tendency as the temps here in the Baltimore area and to the north during my ride were in the upper 30s. Wondering if anyone else has noticed the same drop in mpg?

Jim
It's taking/burning more fuel because your probably running your heater and fan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts