BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the advantage of mounting mirrors on the front cowl, where they are much harder to adjust? IMO they also look better on the bars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe you are luckier (or skinnier) than me, but I find the reward visibility using the bar-mounted mirrors on the K-GT quite lacking. I have even changed to the oblong head mirrors from a K1200RS.

I think that fairing mounted mirrors can either be positioned farther outboard, or because they are farther away from your body, your body will block less or your rearward view in them. I know that the fairing mounted mirrors in my RT-P are much more effective, although these are also lower, and therefore at a narrower part of your body.

Tom

·
Registered
130 Posts
Having ridden bikes with both fairing-mount and bar-mount mirrors, I prefer the fairing mounted ones. That puts the mirrors a little further away from my eyes, requiring less focus change. I also find the fairing mount mirrors are typically higher than the others, requiring less head movement to scan the mirrors. Some will argue bar-mount mirrors affect steering, but I feel any affect is negligible compared to two arms catching wind.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I'll have to sit on one, but it seems to me that if a mirror is farther in front of you, you're going to see more of yourself than what's directly behind you. If the cowl-mounted mirrors are extending farther outward to compensate, the bike is then wider....not good for us lane-splitters in CA.

·
Registered
192 Posts
In the case of the new GT, it makes sense to put the mirrors on the fairing. The handlebars have a LOT of adjustability on that bike, and since it's a sport-touring bike, some of us may install larger windscreens. With the mirrors on the fairing, no windscreen vs mirror clunking at full lock. :D

For lane splitting, I think you'll find the bags are pretty wide too, although you could take them off. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mirrors........

tmh said:
Maybe you are luckier (or skinnier) than me, but I find the reward visibility using the bar-mounted mirrors on the K-GT quite lacking. I have even changed to the oblong head mirrors from a K1200RS.

Tom
I want to change my mirrors (04' K12GT) to the oval KRS type, because of the better look in my opinion. But I thought I read somewhere that they vibate more?. My round ones are rock solid (hardly any blur) at high speed (100 and above). Plus, since I am rather large (my shoulders look like I am wearing football pads) I have a hard time seeing clearly around myself unless I pull my arms inward, or actually remove my hand from grips. Sometimes this can get hairy, when I am at speed, and take my hands off both sides at the same time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I like the look of the fairing mounted mirrors. I've ridden my buddy's RST with similar mirrors and the view to the rear is much better than the RS mirrors I'm using on my GT.

·
Registered
528 Posts
milkman said:
What is the advantage of mounting mirrors on the front cowl, where they are much harder to adjust? IMO they also look better on the bars.
I have to agree with everyone on the advantage of "mirrors on the front cowl". The view is better.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
All things being equal (mirror size, shape, lateral positioning, degree of "convexity", etc.) simple optics would seem to imply that the closer they are to the eye, the better.

My "reducto ad absurdum" argument is the mirror I use on my bicycle. It's mounted to my helmet and only about 1" in diameter - but it's so close to my eye I get a good rear view. That same mirror at a distance wouldn't work well at all.

If equally sized mirrors seem to work better when fairing-mounted, it must have something to do with their positioning, i.e. farther apart, clear of elbows, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1200GTosprey said:
I want to change my mirrors (04' K12GT) to the oval KRS type, because of the better look in my opinion. But I thought I read somewhere that they vibate more?. My round ones are rock solid (hardly any blur) at high speed (100 and above). Plus, since I am rather large (my shoulders look like I am wearing football pads) I have a hard time seeing clearly around myself unless I pull my arms inward, or actually remove my hand from grips. Sometimes this can get hairy, when I am at speed, and take my hands off both sides at the same time.
I have them on my GT. They don't vibrate but, they will touch the windscreen with the steering all the way to the end with the screen in the down position, which is why BMW went to the round ones because of the thinner arm. However with the screen up, or for that matter in every day driving situations, no problem. I agree that they are more attractive and have never regretted mounting them.

As for fairing mounted mirrors the major advantage is by increasing the distance the angle of view greatly increases thus reducing blind spots. I have made it a habit to always look over my shoulder before a lane change or turn to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1200GTosprey said:
The KRS mirrors are definitely better than the round ones for rearward visibility, and I have not had any vibration issues (although I do typically keep my speed down in double digits). I bought mine new from the dealer, and they were relatively (for a BMW part) inexpensive - Something like $100 for the pair.

Note that they are somewhat better than the stock mirrors, but still not great. If you are on the fence regarding fairing mounted mirrors, don't spend the money on the KRS mirrors as they won't improve things all that much. I also have a set of mirrors for fairing mounting, but I just haven't wanted to cut any holes in the bodywork yet. But the more I ride the GT, the closer I am getting to mounting them.

Tom

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also switched to the RS mirrors right away but I also switched to the RS windscreen, so there is no issue with the stems touching it.
I still don't see how cowl-mounted mirrors let you see more DIRECTLY behind you, meaning, within 50 feet of your rear...unless the stems extend farther out.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
...increasing the distance the angle of view greatly increases thus reducing blind spots.
I still can't wrap my brain around that one.

What would the angle of view be if you moved the mirror forward 10'? (and I do mean 10 FEET)

Again, if you could move it inches from your helmet, wouldn't it provide a much WIDER angle of view?

Not dissing fairing mounted mirrors - just don't get the optical benefit of being farther away.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Funny how different folks get different results. (Teacher, I've added these numbers together ten times - here are my ten anwsers!) Santa Clause (or your politically correct red suited gift giver of choice) brought me a set of 02 mirrors to replace the mickey mouse ears. My results are:

1. they look much better.
2. they afford a wider view
3. they do vibrate more - mickey ears were more stable
4. they look much cooler

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Geezus...another hijack...not talkin about RS mirrors....talkin about fairing mounted vs bar mounted mirrors....

·
Registered
351 Posts
milkman... has spoken, raise a glass to him I say

milkman said:
Geezus...another hijack...not talkin about RS mirrors....talkin about fairing mounted vs bar mounted mirrors....
OK, I got it. I too wondered about the mounting of mirrors similar to K1200S. But unlike the more adventurous folks who do. I don't think the RS mirrors are in a poor position. More like my 6 foot 5 in body is in wrong position. I don't worry too much about the mirrors and definitley do not rely on them for saving my butt. If I spot someone approaching from behind I know enough to note their driving habits as they approach. If I get nevervous I'll scoot outa the way. I must be the nervous type cuz I scoot an awful lot.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fairing vs bar mount mirrors

OK, let's put it another way: Why do you think BMW is now mounting their mirrors on the cowl? Purely aesthetic or is there a practical, verified reason?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Note bikes with mirrors on cowl...

I've noted that only the "sport" models seem to be positioned further forward on cowl. Most likely due to rider position on bike, forward over tank for upper torso. Hence mirrors forward on cowl. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had a loaner R1150RS awhile back that had mirrors mounted up front on the cowl. Looked like the R1100S mirrors. I liked them. They had a good rear view and it took less eye movement to scan them. They were more in my normal view, does that make sense? I could see ahead and behind at same time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.