BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love input on replacing the round stock mirrors on my '04 KGT with something better. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I put the oval mirrors on my early K1200RS. They are a direct fit/replacement and look a lot more modern. However, I have noticed with a comfort screen, the thicker ABS stems can just touch the sides of the screen on full lock. Although no probs for normal riding, I thought afterwards there might be an issue in countries doing vehicle tests, unless you lock the screen in the raised position.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
186 Posts
fastjohnny said:
I would love input on replacing the round stock mirrors on my '04 KGT with something better. Any ideas? Thanks.
If you don't like the mirrors off the KRS, check out Wunderlich. They have mirrors for the RS/GT.

http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mirrors

I also purchased a set of rectangular RS mirrors for my GT. Got them for a good price via this site (I seem to recall paying $45 and they were like new - just posted i was looking for a set).

They can slightly touch the screen but this has never been a problem. The view from these mirrors is far better than we get from the original mickey mouse ear GT mirrors.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
rs mirrors

I also bought the RS mirrors and like the rear view better than the round ones, but there was a trade off, the RS mirrors do hit onfull lock no big deal, and they do show some vibration at certain speeds the mickey mouse mirrors did not. I think the wider design is more prone to wind buffeting or shows the vibration better. Not enough for me to take them off though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
dkeven said:
I also bought the RS mirrors and like the rear view better than the round ones, but there was a trade off, the RS mirrors do hit onfull lock no big deal, and they do show some vibration at certain speeds the mickey mouse mirrors did not. I think the wider design is more prone to wind buffeting or shows the vibration better. Not enough for me to take them off though.
I agree, the wider RS mirrors are more likely to cause wind buffeting. Images are bit buzzy at higher speeds or heavy head wind. Usually 85mph +. Just a bit harder to spot those LEO's sneaking up on ya...;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mirror swap for KGT

I too replaced the round stock mirrors with the oval KRS mirrors. In my case I also have suburban barbacks II installed so I do not have any problem with the mirrors hitting the windscreen.

Photo of bike attached.

Attachments

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Slight interference with RS mirrors on GT

I replaced the GT mirrors with the RS mirrors last year, and it is a big improvement. However there can be some interference with the RS mirrors and the GT windscreen. My right mirror will just touch the screen at full lock. The left mirror just clears (less than 1/16 inch). However, I usually run with an RS windscreen, and there is no intereference with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts