BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgraded from a K1100RS to a K1200RS last week. The 12 is awesome but the mirrors are rubbish compared to the 11.

I notice the indicator pods have 3 holes on the 'ugly' black filler panel. Anybody heard of or seen any mirrors that would fit here? Could probably get glass cut to the right shape but adjustability would be an issue.

Cheers

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm assuming you have the round mirrors? If so the rectangular
ones on the 02 models are much better. $100 for a new
pair from BMW or used on ebay is your best bet. Also
I think someone was using "muth" brand mirrors bu they are fairing
mounted
hth!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I replaced the 'dots' with the newer ovals, they look better, but only give a marginal improvement in wider vision, but still get partly blocked by my arms and thick leather jacket.

I looked at the pods, but thought you'd actually need something with up/down sideways adjustment. Also 1 of my pod baskets is a bit on the loose side and vibrates. Personally, I'd like something a bit convex there for blind spot. I haven't experimented yet with plastic mirror.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I put a pair of these (http://www.magicalracing.co.jp/Products/gsgdp_blue_mirrors_en.html) on my '03GT round lollipop mirrors. They add an improved field of view as advertised, very clearly without distortion and work well in low light conditions (blue tint). I have a pair of the oval RS mirrors too and like these better, they give more view (I also find the RS mirrors vibrate more). Plus, the blueish tint accents well on my Orient blue bike (especially with the Silver Signature blue turn signal bulbs behind the clear lenes).
They cost is $56 plus shipping, which wasn't bad from Japan. I think it was right around 70 bucks or so to the door, and came much faster than I would have thought. Good customer service even through the language barrier, I emailed to verify fit.
Unfortunately they don't have them for the RS mirror.
Worth a look.

·
Registered
386 Posts
bigmadstu said:
Upgraded from a K1100RS to a K1200RS last week. The 12 is awesome but the mirrors are rubbish compared to the 11.

I notice the indicator pods have 3 holes on the 'ugly' black filler panel. Anybody heard of or seen any mirrors that would fit here? Could probably get glass cut to the right shape but adjustability would be an issue.

Cheers
Reached the same conclusion when I bought my 01 K12RS and sold my K11RS.

I cut replacement mirror glass (for truck mirrors) to fit the ugly signal pods, but that was a waste of time, looked cool, but the angles are all wrong to actually see behind you.

I spoke to http://www.multivexmirror.com/ about making a special convex mirror that matched and attached to the back of the pod, but after trying several 'homebuilt' types of mirrors there, it became clear that mirrors on the pods would be useless for actual 'rear view'.

I suppose BMW also figured that out and put the bar mount 'mouse ear' mirrors on with the pseudo hand protector/signal pods.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Try the Hindsight by CRG. http://www.constructorsrg.com/ They are great mounted at the end of the handle bar. They have the fold away and the standard. Both are adjustable. I have one on my Ducati on the left grip. Will be adding one also to the R and remove the mirrors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tend to agree, that currently the Verholen replacement mirrors are the best alternative. No matter what you put on your handle bar they will not be in your peripheral vision! This means that in order the check the rear view, you'll have to turn your had left and right regularly, and re-focus on the mirrors, and then back to the traffic ahead of you. This takes up valuable seconds! The Verholens are perfectly positioned and once done, the installation will result in a solid, vibration-free set of mirrors.
IMHO the installation may get a little quirky depending on your skillset, but in the end the time and money spent will be worth it.

Steve

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yeah, I've had them on for a year and a half. You wouldn't notice... They fit in the same space over the original glass on the stock mirrors (mickey ears in the GTs case).
Stayin' warm dude?... 20 degrees there yesterday? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts