BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shit.

I think my bike is misaligned. The front tire wears more on the left than on the right... like a lot more. It appears to not be super centered.

I have a nagging suspicion that the handlebars are not 100% straight. Can anything be done?

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
669 Posts
I'm with the tire wear side of things. Left side does wear more than the right for some people. But, if you look at the Factory DVD there is a section I've seen in past searches that deals with not messing with the factory setting of some bushings in the head steering area that you work on while removing the front wheel carrier. They obviously are centering adjustments. I think any serious work in this area needs to be done by one of the few MC frame shops or someone who has done this before. Maybe there is a dealer shop qualified. My theory on left side wear is left turns are longer and people tend to take them harder & faster because you can see where your going. Of course this is not the case in the UK.

Reactions: Porto.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with the tire wear side of things. Left side does wear more than the right for some people. But, if you look at the Factory DVD there is a section I've seen in past searches that deals with not messing with the factory setting of some bushings in the head steering area that you work on while removing the front wheel carrier. They obviously are centering adjustments. I think any serious work in this area needs to be done by one of the few MC frame shops or someone who has done this before. Maybe there is a dealer shop qualified. My theory on left side wear is left turns are longer and people tend to take them harder & faster because you can see where your going. Of course this is not the case in the UK.
This has occurred to me as well, and it’s entirely possible that it’s a left-turn thing. Also nmK12’s suggestion that road camber might cause this to happen.

I’ll check the service DVD. The bike has undergone some crash before that might demonstrate cause this issue. If it does need adjusting, idk what I will do.

·
Registered
BMW K1200S
20 Posts
A solution from many years ago (provided the frame is not twisted 😳) is to release, but not remove, the clamps around the front axle and bounce the front suspension.
This has the effect of centring the axle on the forks - then carefully nip up and fully tighten the two locking bolts.
I can happen if the front sees a knock or bump at an angle so putting a little twist on the front axle.
…maybe?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've read this in instructions, but thinking about it, this would be very good for tube fork bikes but the K13 is a one piece wheel carrier and not really easy to put a twist in things. There is a bushing on the lower left leg that is not supposed to move, and as mentioned some stuff in the upper area where the carrier mounts to the bike.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that sounds like a forked bike solution, or am I missing something?

Clamps around the front axle....

·
Registered
669 Posts
I believe the left hand side of the wheel holder has a bushing that is not supposed to be released by the pinch bolt. it registers the wheel location. I'd have to check the dvd again to be sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I see you live in Texas so your riding in the US. This is function of the radius of a circle. Left turns take the longer path therefore there is more wear. Road camber may also play a small part but put simply its distance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey Beech. I think the left side pinchbolt is to maintain the gap for the abs sensor and ring. I have removed mine and replaced it after measuring the gap btwn sensor and ring with no problems

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see you live in Texas so your riding in the US. This is function of the radius of a circle. Left turns take the longer path therefore there is more wear. Road camber may also play a small part but put simply its distance.
I have a hard time believing it's significant. I believe the camber of the road would cause more wear than the longer left turns.... no?

·
Registered
BMW K1200S
20 Posts
I doubt it’s camber (unless you ride in the gutter🙄)

It is almost certain that the wheels are not true to each other - causes could be many but the primary ones are

▪Front wheel misaligned from a kerbing - possibly higher up in the paralever stuff!?
▪Rear wheel misaligned forcing the front to counteract - unlikely as it has a single sided swing arm.
▪Frame twist - hopefully not the case 🙁

Or you could be simply riding in circles (left turns only!) 😅

·
Registered
31 Posts
just changed tires (shinko 009) at 21 k miles - yea its true- on my 99 rs & my 03 GT tire wear on LT side of tire always. road camber . & slight offset of FT tire.
always "reset FT tire" by pinch bolt trick. dont apply brakes - block tire by tire wedge stopper. & i use 2 sm flat blade screwdrivers to open pinch area on forks just a tad.
if tires are out of balance they will "cup" on LT side 1st. align FT tire as in clymers book

1 - 17 of 17 Posts