BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a k1200s that came with the Bridgestone bt 014's and at 1700 miles the rear is shot. they have been good tires with nice turn in and grip. The front is in pretty good shape. I really would like to try a Michelin Pilot Power or the Metzler M3. But I hate to change the front as its in such nice shape. Has anyone tried mixing? :wtf Or do you think I would have any problems? I've done this on lesser HP bikes with no problems. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's a crapshoot, and rarely an improvement - just a question of whether it's "just ok" or "really bad". The only people I've seen do this regularly and intentionally are those with odd rim sizes such that they can't get matched sets of the more popular tires.

I just treat tire model changes as an "every other rear" oppportunity. Just bought my second M1 for the rear, so am now debating Pilot Power vs M3 vs Qualifier for my next choice on the KRS.

keS

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went and got a full set of the Metzler M3's we wil see how they last.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ran BT-14s on my Busa (incidentally, I'm in Tucson as well) and got good tread life out of them until I spent too many weekends on Mt. Lemmon. All of my rear tires lasted longer than 1700 miles, though. I would expect to get less tread life out of the M3s. It'll be interesting to see how you do with them.

Lemmon? Sunday morning---early?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually get there about 6:30 or so and ride till about 8:00. This weekend its a 2 day to Alpine up the old 191. The rides listed on www.southwestrides.com if your interested. i also hit it during the week early, much more fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep. During the week is much better--no cars, no cops, no bicycles. 191 should be fun. Thanks for the link.

We'll have to meet up sometime and talk bikes.

Later,

Alex.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts