BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK you wondrous gurus please put my mind at ease. I am going to change my final drive and Transmission oil on my 2004 K1200RS. I purchased Mobil 1synthetic 75W-90. I read the label and low and behold it says ...outperforms conventional extreme pressure type gear lubricants in both conventional and limited slip applications... Of course it exceeds GL-5 specs. Is this what some of you folks are using in both the transmission and final drive? My question is, even though it mentions limited slip applications, it WON'T eat my seals?? Right?? I noticed most of the Gear lubricants mention their accepted use in conventional and limited slip units, except for the outboard motor gear oil. Please quell my fears that this IS the Right stuff to use!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re:Mobil 1 Gear Oil

Well I wouldn't put my self up as a "guru" but if it helps to know I've been using that in my bike since late 2005 and it's still going VERY smooth, I have intended on switching over to Royal Purple's "Gear Max" but for now I've had no problems or regrets using the Mobil 1 gear oil. I think you'll be happy with it.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Better yet!!

Why not 75W140 Mobil 1 Gear Oil?? that is the viscosity BMW offer on their brand synthetic gear oil. I have used 75W140 Mobil 1 Gear Oil, without a problem, on both, gearbox and final drive, and seems to actually make gear changes click smoother. Specially when cold.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Had 100,000 miles on my old R1100RT-L and no final drive failures using Mobile 1 75W140 (due to high summer temps of desert valleys). Still running around now with 120,000 miles on it.

It did puke an input seal around 45K though which the dealer changed for $185 when I took it in to them (off the bike). I got a lot of mangled screws back along with the castled nut that looked like they had a real time with.

Mack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts