BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been searching everywhere for a low sport windshield for my K1200s but all are touring size, so I decided to modify my existing one by cutting off 30% and am very pleased with the results and look.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive mirror

·
Registered
205 Posts
I cut mine twice to get what I was looking for I was getting hit in the face with the air off the windscreen now it hits me in my upper chest making the helmet
( Shoei ) much quieter kind of more like a naked bike now LOL. But if you like to ride at speeds 90+ all the time more wind protection would be better but I have other bikes built more for touring and better wind protection so my 1200s is more like my convertible now I don’t se me going to a big one again unless you are doing a lot of cold riding with them. I have just installed the Wunderlich bar conversion so happy with it much more comfort for me

Attachments

Reactions: Sbike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks nice! I have one of the nice add ons which attaches to the top of the OEM windshield for winter riding so when I remove it, i get the same psychological feeling that you get by cutting it down!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looks nice! I have one of the nice add ons which attaches to the top of the OEM windshield for winter riding so when I remove it, i get the same psychological feeling that you get by cutting it down!
I think if I put one of those add-ons like you were talking about it would put the wind back in the face of my helmet. I have one on my Tiger 1050 I can ride with the Shield up now. I can’t believe how well it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I cut mine twice to get what I was looking for I was getting hit in the face with the air off the windscreen now it hits me in my upper chest making the helmet
( Shoei ) much quieter kind of more like a naked bike now LOL. But if you like to ride at speeds 90+ all the time more wind protection would be better but I have other bikes built more for touring and better wind protection so my 1200s is more like my convertible now I don’t se me going to a big one again unless you are doing a lot of cold riding with them. I have just installed the Wunderlich bar conversion so happy with it much more comfort for me
I guess I missed the boat on the cutting down of the wind screen myself...... I succumbed to an MRA shield from Germany and had them give me a longer length as my Torso is long and my legs short. The Stock Screen blasted right into my upper torso, Another Screen I borrowed from a friend with a pivoting deflector made my helmet buffer......drove me crazy.

Finally have a good Compromise..... its so personal and subjective.

P.S. I absolutely adore your climate controlled garage!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I guess I missed the boat on the cutting down of the wind screen myself...... I succumbed to an MRA shield from Germany and had them give me a longer length as my Torso is long and my legs short. The Stock Screen blasted right into my upper torso, Another Screen I borrowed from a friend with a pivoting deflector made my helmet buffer......drove me crazy.

Finally have a good Compromise..... its so personal and subjective.

P.S. I absolutely adore your climate controlled garage!
Thank you yes my K 1200 S is kind of like a naked bike now I cut the screen down so the air hits me in the chest so my helmet is not taking on any air from the bike much quieter the only problem is if you wanna call it that is it speeds at 90 or 100 which I shouldn’t be doing in California u get a pretty good wind blast. Just bought Its big brother to my K1200S. A 2009 K1300GT with 25000 miles on her and it’s pristine 4 pages of service work

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you yes my K 1200 S is kind of like a naked bike now I cut the screen down so the air hits me in the chest so my helmet is not taking on any air from the bike much quieter the only problem is if you wanna call it that is it speeds at 90 or 100 which I shouldn’t be doing in California u get a pretty good wind blast. Just bought Its big brother to my K1200S. A 2009 K1300GT with 25000 miles on her and it’s pristine 4 pages of service work
I'm green with Envy.... good point on the high speeds issue..... Ran around Europe back in 08 with a 1200S and 1200R with a woman friend. We both had very sore necks at high speed with the Naked Version, So we had to alternate the bikes every other day!

Love the GT! God, I miss that Bike!

Cheers

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mark how much you want to take off masking tape works good for an edge to follow if you’re making curves Then thin tape. I am using my Makita grinder with a thin Carborundum blade. Been sandpaper have different grit on the edges and then polish

Reactions: MN_k1200s

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What/ how are you guys cutting with? I've got a zero gravity touring on and it's too tall for me and it's really the only thing visually that I don't like about the bike.
I used a Dremel to cut it and a old visor sheild that had a nice curved bottom edge to get a cut line, after its cut use plastic trim edging with a little glue to hold it in place, hides the not so perfect cut.

Now at speed wind doesn’t hit me straight in the helmet with the dreaded buffering.
It’s now at my chest area which is fine and a improvement imo.
By product it Looks a lot more sportier aswell.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for the tips. The buffeting has been making it so loud in the helmet. I think the previous owner must have been a lot taller. The wind hit my pretty much in the forehead.
That’s what was happening to me if there is a windscreen that gets the bike air over the helmet it must be pretty Damn tall. Would like to see what one looks like on the bike. Anyway I cut it once and it went from hitting me in the helmet shield to the bottom of the helmet like at the neck sending more air up under my helmet then cut it again so now it hits me in my chest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts