BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some time ago that Rossi was doing it and didnt understand what he was doing. Ive just watched the replay of the Laguna Seca Race and noticed that Stoner and Pedrosa were doing it.
Its not on every corner but every now and then when they seem to be setting up for the corner, they just stick their inside leg out to almost touch the road and then they put it back on the peg.
Any pilots out there up to speed with this technique and what it does?

·
Registered
969 Posts
One of the announcers at one of the races said that it helps with braking by creating more drag on the bike. Another said that it makes setting up the turns easier by moving the center of gravity. It would be distracting to me to be behind someone who did that. Hey, if Rossi does it then it must be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Gives them a feel for when they are at the edge of the "chicken strip" too. Looks cool if they have the flint-loaded pucks on their knees throwing sparks too.

Anyone notice the butt-cam on whomever's bike with the ads on his seat too? Now that was disturbing. He must have a Teflon seat too from all the sliding around he did.

Mack

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GMack said:
Gives them a feel for when they are at the edge of the "chicken strip" too. Looks cool if they have the flint-loaded pucks on their knees throwing sparks too.

Anyone notice the butt-cam on whomever's bike with the ads on his seat too? Now that was disturbing. He must have a Teflon seat too from all the sliding around he did.

Mack
Mack, the leg is going out and back well before they turn the bike in hard and so nowhere near the tyres extremities.
When I first saw Rossi do it it was almost like his foot had come off the peg by mistake until of course he kept doing it.
It seems like they are only doing it in corners where they are not fully shifting their body weight and therefore not in the corners where knee sliders are getting use.
Now a number of riders are doing it. I dont think it is something I want to start doing but I am very curious as to what benefits they are gaining from doing it.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Leg always goes down before the turn or before they approach the tire's edge. Same with hitting the brakes or downshifting prior to turn entry. There was a video cam clip off the throttle grip side of some guy on a white bike where his knee is down late but the bike slides out on him. He got a bit late on entry and pushed it over.

I had some guy come up behind me once in a canyon on a race green Kawi. I waved him around me. He was doing much the same stuff of dragging and hanging off while I was more bolt-upright on the GT. It was fun to watch him, but I could also hang with him as I ride that canyon a lot so I know the road very well which helps a lot.

At one point he turned his head around and stared at me like "How come you are still back there?" He still kept up his hanging off stuff though. :D

Still, I've gotten spanked bad on unfamiliar roads to me by the locals. Okay, often by much lighter-weight sport bikes too. A heavier 300# barge just doesn't turn as well or as quickly at speed. I'd like to see a Gold Wing race at Laguna Secca. They'd be all over that kitty-litter.

Aside, I also don't know which contributed most to accidents: familiarity and over-riding the road, or non-familiarity and just running amok.

Mack

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
It's not a knee out, its their whole leg.

Mack,

Rossi and company aren't just putting a knee out, they are dangling their leg out almost looking like a motocrosser or super-motard racer. Very strange sight on a Moto-GP / road race bike.

This is something new, I haven't seen until this season.

·
Registered
447 Posts
rhhall said:
Mack,

Rossi and company aren't just putting a knee out, they are dangling their leg out almost looking like a motocrosser or super-motard racer. Very strange sight on a Moto-GP / road race bike.

Great pic, thanks! I'm going to a track day tomorrow, I'll see if I impress Jason Pridmore when I hang my whole leg out like that at 15mph.... :hysterica

·
Registered
447 Posts
Then there's the elbow thing....

rhhall said:
Mack,

Since I don't know how to cut and paste this:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32909

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
DebS said:
Great pic, thanks! I'm going to a track day tomorrow, I'll see if I impress Jason Pridmore when I hang my whole leg out like that at 15mph.... :hysterica
If you really want to impress him hang both legs off and pretend you're peddling anytime he's riding behind you. :D

Have fun at the track day!!

·
284 Posts
rhhall said:
Mack,

What I've heard from a few commentators is that they think he's using it to stabilize the bike and shift the CoG further to the inside at corner entry. Nothing from Rossi so far as to why he's doing it.

The most popular reason that more guys in the GP paddock are doing it is that, Rossi does it, he's freakin' fast, so we'd better do it, too! :rotf:

·
Registered
447 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
If you really want to impress him hang both legs off and pretend you're peddling anytime he's riding behind you. :D

Have fun at the track day!!
What makes you think I'm pretending????

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Razel said:
Deb,

See if you can't get the instructor to show you some good leans, and you follow like the second guy...

Just remember to look through the turn.
Holy crap! They are taking it to a whole new level lately aren't they? Great picture Ray!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GMack said:
Leg always goes down before the turn or before they approach the tire's edge. Same with hitting the brakes or downshifting prior to turn entry. There was a video cam clip off the throttle grip side of some guy on a white bike where his knee is down late but the bike slides out on him. He got a bit late on entry and pushed it over.

I had some guy come up behind me once in a canyon on a race green Kawi. I waved him around me. He was doing much the same stuff of dragging and hanging off while I was more bolt-upright on the GT. It was fun to watch him, but I could also hang with him as I ride that canyon a lot so I know the road very well which helps a lot.

At one point he turned his head around and stared at me like "How come you are still back there?" He still kept up his hanging off stuff though. :D

Still, I've gotten spanked bad on unfamiliar roads to me by the locals. Okay, often by much lighter-weight sport bikes too. A heavier 300# barge just doesn't turn as well or as quickly at speed. I'd like to see a Gold Wing race at Laguna Secca. They'd be all over that kitty-litter.

Aside, I also don't know which contributed most to accidents: familiarity and over-riding the road, or non-familiarity and just running amok.

Mack
I guess youve seen the pics now Mack, so I guess were now on the same page.

·
284 Posts
DebS said:
Holy crap! They are taking it to a whole new level lately aren't they? Great picture Ray!
They were commenting during the USGP that lean angles on the GP bikes are at or exceeding 60 degrees in some corners. That's insane!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some good dialogue but still no wiser.
The added braking by sticking the leg out into the airflow seems to make sense but I think the inertia would throw the leg way forward under hard braking if it was swinging way out there.
Maybe its just a bit of air cooling for those huge balls?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts